Ear Training Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by koburd, Jun 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If it doesn't click, it's probably that it's just harder (for most people, I guess). Theory is not done in real time. It's visual and you can think about it as you do it. Ear training is in the moment and calls into play certain aural skills that one doesn't normally use.

What worked for me? Don't know because it was an accumulation of things. Here's the chronology.

Sight singing in high school. Playing tunes by ear (also in HS). Sight-singing and ear training, systematically in college and with added concentration on chord progressions. More playing by ear, this time including playing along with recordings. Gradual eye-ear association by conducting and also transcribing. Eventually, I got to a point where I could sight-sing and take dictation of atonal music.

Sorry, I can't break it down for you.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Play along to everything on the TV. Theme tunes, advertising jingles, film sound tracks the lot. We've had the Harry Potter films on recently, and they're pretty good for odd-ball intervals. It's a struggle at first, but eventually you start to cotton on and the intervals become second nature rather than (as kehaulani pointed out) some dry academic exercise.

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes ++++++1.
    Worked wonders for me. Only downside is that it will annoy the crap out of anyone else in the house. It's given me a kind of poor man's perfect pitch - can happily play along, but have stop and think to name the notes.

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I was thinking last night how sight-transcribing did a lot for me, too.

5. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    There is a handy tool on musictheory.net under exercises and scroll down to ear training.

I recommend it!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What is "many people"? I don't know any serious musicians that have problems with either. Both are required territory. There is no dichotomy between the two. The problem with ear training for those that never spent time with it, is that they have no "feeling" for intervals or the sound of different keys. You are what you repeatedly do. Pull out the Arban book and start playing the interval exercizes. Overdose on them. One cannot intellectualize some things!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I went to the Till Bronner improvisational workshop at the ITG meeting last month and he takes ear training over theory any day. That was pretty much his mantra from the workshop. He even demonstrated this by inviting me (and a few others) up on stage with our horns to blow lines he was blowing. It does involve listening hard and this does take experience. Till recommends transcribing solos from other performers as key to developing this. He recommended starting with Kenny Dorham.

As for music theory, Till says pianists are steeped in it... so steeped that when he gets a chart from a piano player, he takes a pencil and x's out every other cord, because in Till's words... "piano players use too many f^$king chords that are entirely worthless".