Early in the morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 10, 2010.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Hi I been able to practise in the morning with my new Denis Wick practice mute.

In the morning I seem to have a very difficult time producing sound at all, and when I do only very low notes.

What Gives :dontknow:

2. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I can't either until I warm up longer and easier than other times.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Might help to drink more water.

Tom

4. Dragon98987

Dragon98987 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2010
    Playing in the morning is like trying to run a marathon right after you wake up. Your muscles need time to "wake up". In addition, using a practice mute is going to create some back pressure and make it harder to play. I'd suggest either waking up earlier and waiting a little while before you play or warm up very slowly. You could also try doing some kind of physical exercise before you play to get your blood flowing. I've found that I have trouble playing up to 3 hours after I wake up.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I used to have trouble playing early in morning, after I stated my comeback. One thing I observed is that the state of my chops in the morning was directly related to how I left them the night before. I try not to abuse my chops (easier said than done), and I always warm down after playing. As a result, in the morning before work, is now my favorite time to practice.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Hmm, yes I have been playing late at night now too, which I wasn't doing before, now that I have this new mute, and the chops felt very nice then, but I didn't warm down. That would also explain why it didn't happen the first time.

Maybe it is lactic acid thing building up or something.

I also live in a very dry climate, so the previous poster may also be correct.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Maybe you're just not getting enough rest after playing late at night?

I usually feel good in the morning. However, I rarely practice in the evening.

There seems to be a temporal correlation. For both of us, maybe it's as simple as that?

8. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    What kind of sound / feedback do you get when playing with the Denis Wick practice mute?

I have used a stone lined practice mute (Humes) and more recently the Yamaha silent brass system. I like the Yamaha system because I can setup headphones and use a volume control to get feedback of what I am playing so I don't feel like I have to use so much pressure to practice. I think with the amplification and headphones I get enough feedback so that I don't feel like I have to force it as much if that makes sense... Regardless... I would prefer to practice without a practice mute and only use the practice mute when I have to. aka after the wife/kids go to bed.

Have you used a yamaha silent brass system before and if so how would you compare it to the Denis Wick practice mute?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are plenty of issues in the morning. You don't need a warm down to play well the next day unless you are psychologically dependent on the warm-down concept.

What can go wrong early:
    concentration
    blood pressure
    muscle tone (affects breathing too)
    hydration

What can you do to play better in the morning:
    Go to bed earlier to get enough sleep
    enough fluids in the course of the day
    don't beat yourself up the night before
    regular visits to the doc to keep blood pressure in tow
    Get up earlier to give yourself a chance to wake up.

10. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    The feed back is OK. The small holes in the side some times have a slight raspy sound, the tone is not really colored, but it is slightly muffled. If there is any problem with the set up it is the sound the horn makes when it vibrates, which isn't muffled at all. There is a slightly different resistance to it. It almost seems easier to play with the mute on. Hard to tell.

I have not used silent brass. I work with computers all day, and I kind of want to be free of the wires when I get home if you know what I mean, which is why I went this route. I try to keep the barriers to starting a practice session low. Otherwise I have heard good things about the system from my teacher and others.