Early in the morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 10, 2010.

1. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Interesting posts. I've started research because I will soon be a morning practicer; due to my class schedule.

A question I have is how do your chops feel throughout the day if you practice in the morning? Granted this is a loaded question because or the nature of all of our playing and how much we play (That and our bodies all react differently). But nevertheless do you feel that you could play a 2 hour rehearsal after a morning practice session? (With a 4 hour break in between.)

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I presume that the morning practice/warm up can only help later afternoon playing. But as you suggest, I may not be the authority on the subject.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm not sure I agree with that (IMHO, of course). We're talking about physiology, not psychological dependence. Taking a few minute to warm down, especially if you over did it, seems reasonable.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we look at the function of a warm up or warm down, what REALLY happens?

Even although I am not a big fan of wikipedia as an authorative source on anything, here is a decent overview:
    Muscle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My personal research has shown that arm and leg muscles benefit from stretching and warmup and downs. The face muscles work differently and I see no physiological need or advantages as these muscles are fed energy differently and do not respond with "brute force" (large contraction) rather fine motor skills. I therefore see no technical reason for a warm down unless it calms the mind. Loosening the BODY up does help us to breathe in a more relaxed way however. It also heightens our awareness of posture and body use.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I live in the Desert Southwest, and a big glass of water seemed to do the trick this morning. Thanks! Now about that warm down.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Morning is THE time .... I'd start playing at 5am if I could.

Try doing what I do:

A few minutes (5-10) of loose lip flapping that sounds like a horse .... well, loosely flapping their lips.:dontknow: I wonder why horses do that?

Then a few minutes of buzzing without the MP or horn. And maybe a few minutes with a mouthpiece.

Then, blow some air though the horn to warm it up some and viola! Ready as rain.:cool: I think it's the loose flapping that really makes the difference ... my lips buzz pretty easily after 5 minutes of that, even at 6am.

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I live in an apartment building in Brooklyn. I am an early riser and I start my day at the trumpet very early. Playing in the morning has never been a problem for me. I use a Bach practice mute, it works fine. I play a few scales and I'm ready to go.
    Wilmer

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If it's just after you awake, your body isn't fully awake and is thinking, "what the heck is he trying to do"? It's kinda like coming out anesthesia. You're "awake", you're body isn't.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Not exactly. The facial muscles are true skeletal muscles. The primary difference is that most skeletal muscles attach to bones where they act as levers. Facial muscles are instead attached to other soft tissues. However, facial muscles still access and metabolize energy exactly the same as all other skeletal muscles.

I agree. We are dealing with toning only, instead of muscle toning and muscle building.

However, these facial muscles are still skeletal muscles, and physologically, operate the same as larger skeletal muscles. Therefore ...
    • Warming up should aid in increasing the temperature of muscles, dilating blood vessles, increasing nerve impulse condition, and possiblly in other areas.
    • Warming down should aid in removal of lactic acid and other waste products (thus helping to reduce stiffnes), and help muscle fibers reallign and assume their resting function and normal state.
    I agree with you that some of us might be psychologically dependent on long warm-ups or warm-downs. I also acknowledge that this is a controversial topic. But at the very least, there seems to be anecdotal evidence that a short warm-up or warm-down can have some benefits. Even Wilmer (a few posts above this one) talks about first playing a few scales before he's ready to go. Sounds like a brief warm-up to possibly provide some of the benefits suggested above.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  10. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    Denis Wick Practice Mute

Try plugging one of the holes on the bottom of the mute with tape. I find the response to be better that way. If you like it, you can fill one of the holes with epoxy.