Early Mornings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, Oct 14, 2007.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Now I know we all hate waking up early in the mornings and it's hell and torture etc. But it's even worse for my trumpet playing. I got my band class at 10:41, and even though it is already a few hours into my day, my playing is horrid. My range is reduced by almost a full octave. I can do anything/everything and my notes just won't play if they're above a d (no matter how hard I try its just air that comes out). My tone is okay but it's worse than it is sometime after 2-3ish.

Anyone know how to help this or fix it in some way?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Wake up before school and do a warmup. Nothing intense, just some long tones and maybe some arpeggios. I do Major arpeggios from C in the staff downwards holding each note for 3 beats at 58 bpm. I hold the last note of the arpeggio for 6 beats then I rest 6 beats. Then I do the same thing a semitone down and repeat until I get to F#. Sometimes I will continue and go into the pedal range.

Do 15 or 20 minutes. Play quiet. Just focus on making a good sound and getting the blood flowing. Then go do whatever you want until class. You will feel great.

3. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    The way my prof explained it (and yes, I know it sounds crazy, but it WORKS, I promise you) is you have to pee at least two or three times in the morning before you play. I'm not totally clear on the science of it, but it has something to do with all the urine you hold in while you sleep. When you're awake, you go to the bathroom fairly frequently, every few hours. When you're asleep, however, you're holding in all that urine for upwards of seven or eight hours. It doesn't just stay in your bladder. Toxins and whatnot spread throughout your body, making your lips and fingers feel "swollen" when you wake up. Apparently going to the bathroom twice before you play will bring you back to normal. Osmosis or something...who knows. I thought it was BS at first, but I tried it for a 9 AM rehearsal and it made all the difference. I'd never played so well in the morning.

I know that was a really lame explanation, but give it a try, go for that extra cup of OJ or coffee at breakfast. You won't be sorry.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    John,
    that is amazing! I have never heard of that.
    I generally do not have trouble mornings, but have a couple of students that do. Let's see what happens here! It is worth a try and doesn't cost anything. It definitely is not voodoo and does not change your routine.
    Before commenting up or down, I would be cool if other TMers would try this and report after a month or so (less time is not significant!).

5. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I will concur that I feel more awake after things "get going" in the a.m.! :lol:

That said, I try to make sure I am fully awake before playing. That means getting up REALLY early sometimes, but that's how it goes.
    If I try to play before my mind is fully engaged, it's nearly pointless.

Something I've found helpful is listening to some music that I love - especially stuff that has beautiful trumpet sounds in it.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    It's a little after 7:30 AM in NYC and my chops feel fine.
    It is mental.
    All my trumpet playing life I have had to get up in the morning and play. Most orchestras in NYC start their rehearsals at 10AM. I have played the Brandenberg at 8:30 in the morning.
    Get up earlier and just do it:D
    Wilmer

7. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Guys I drank alot of liquid last night and woke up early this morning. I peed not 3 but 4 times before I touched my horn around 7:30 am and played some of the best trumpet of my life :-o

8. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    I tend to agree with Mr. Wise on this one. I think that whatever scientific or biological reason that urination may have is trumped by mental aspects. I think that the reason it is helping you is more likely that the act of doing such an activity is engaging your mind to think about the trumpet on one level or another, so you are coming to the table with an already active mind.

9. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    I agree w/ Wilmer about the mental aspect - but, I also think hydration plays a HUGE part in how our chops feel from day to day (the urination is the side-effect) - I just try to make sure that my body is awake (breathing exercises, stretching, etc.) and that I am properly hydrated (32 oz of H2O soon after waking if I have an early call) - I can usually make things work the way I'm used to at 7 or 8am even if I played a pounding gig till midnight or 1am the night before (don't do too many days of that kind of turnaround if I can help it....12 hours rest works wonders after strenuous work) - YMMV

TC

10. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    ive notice at marching band, which starts a 6:30 A.M., i play much better if i drink some tea on my way to school and run a few laps before rehearsal. Although i still play better in the afternoon. But it helps.