Early Trumpet Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by estarnes, Sep 30, 2009.

1. estarnes

estarnes New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Hello all,

I have a question regarding early trumpet music. I am looking for music BEFORE 1700. Preferrably not natural trumpet.

The hope would be to find either solo, duet or ensemble work for the trumpet before the year 1700 so i can research it for a project in a class i have.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions on pieces or other places to look???

Thanks everyone,

Eric

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Not natural trumpet? what then? slide trumpet?...Sure you know that there valves are a relatively recent invention...

3. estarnes

estarnes New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    I understand that but i like to think that maybe there are arrangements of those pieces for b flat, c, e flat or something so that modern players can play them. Finding a natural trumpet that is playable in the state of Kansas is harder than you might think!!

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
  5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Early trumpet music is natural trumpet. Period.

Other instruments that seem to be related would be a zink/cornett which is kind of like a recorder bent like a banana with an acorn shaped mouthpiece or any of the other rennaissance instruments ( Medieval and Renaissance Instruments ).

Many of those instruments really only had a range of about 2 octaves, so the trumpet can pretty easily cover the parts.

Valves have only been around since the early 1800s.

Natural trumpet stuff can be played on modern instruments. Just transpose it down if it is too high.

A good early music collection is Michael Praetorius' (1561-1621) Terpsichore. Here is a legal but free source for the sheet music:
    Index of /archiv/recorder_flauti/ensemble_satb/terpsichore_new

Anthony Holborne (1545?–1602) is also good. Here a link to his stuff:
    Werner Icking Music Archive: Anthony Holborne