Easter Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccb_22, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    So yesterday, we're rehearsing in the church and out of nowhere, a drunk college kid stumbles in and says "I'm drunk, and I know it." Granted, the church is right on the beach and all the schools around here are on spring break. If that's the rehearsal, I can't wait for the service today. Oh, and we are trying to set a world record for the slowest ever performance of the Hallelujah Chorus - I'm pretty sure we've got it in the bag.

So that's how my Easter gig is going - how is yours going? What are you playing? Anything fun or exciting? Well, regardless, I hope everyone has a very happy easter. Cheers!

2. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    I played last night, for the Saturday vigil. Played some descants and things on a few hymns and as a postlude we played the Prince of Denmark's March. Not particularly related to Easter, but oh well. It went down well.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Worked the last 10 days straight in a remote location, Dawn to Dusk, 47 degrees C temp and 4 more days to go. Then back to Melbourne (5,000Klm total journey to get home), and I can play again. Cannot play here due to weight restrictions, camp life, and shift work - so someone has to dig this shxt out of the ground so we can make trumpets!!

My first mail for a while, phones erratic and flies that want to cover me. I really do hope you all had a Great Easter. Seriously may it be a happy and Holy one for you all. For me, more hard work tomorrow....then 3 days to go.

Keep Giggin'

4. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    Update: Church had no A/C today and we were wearing tuxedos.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played with a brass quintet. It went very well. It was a record for the most I ever made in a single gig.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    " Jesus Christ is Risen Today", six verses. Did just the alleuia's on three verses, sat out on two, then a descant for the sixth. saved the lip that way:play::shhh:
    judging from the tape, i may have shook some dust from the rafters and possibly cracked a window:huh::-P
    Of course i can pick my performance apart, cracked note, and a high A towards the end that kinda fuzzed. The congregation still was appreciative.............Buck:oops::roll:

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Played with a brass quartet, but the prelude was the 1st movement of the Vivaldi Concerto in C for two trumpets. Had fun and finally made a decent buck for Easter.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    CCB, Our organist tends to drag, too. But, she keeps coming up with some neat stuff to play.........Buck:oops:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bach Cantate 66 Erfreut Euch ihr Herzen and a bunch of hymns. We had the rehearsal at 9 and the service at 10:30. It was a real face full on the nat.

10. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    The Church's music director was a little behind this year. At the beginning of last week, I had a fanfare for the outdoor sunrise service and processional scheduled with my Euphonium-player husband; an easy prelude with a brass quartet, and an accompaniment along with piano and organ with the choir on a medley titled "Resurrection" (arr. Curry).

By Wednesday, the director had asked us to add to this a couple more trumpet/euphonium duets. One very simple and unaccompanied, so we could play our Bb instruments from the hymnal for offertory, and one more difficult piece as accompaniment to organ.

A full plate, to say the least - and I'm only a two-year trumpeter (high school french horn player and 25-year-later come-back player at that), who has only played two previous trumpet solos in Church. However, I am intrepid, play for a church that forgives mistakes, and was willing to practice a lot!

Then, mini-tragedy struck. Around midnight on Friday, I had turned all of the lights off in our house. In the pitch dark I thought I was in the clear when I bent down to pet the cat who meowed for attention, but SMACK! I hit my lower lip square in the middle, tasted blood and immediately thought Zoiks! Can I play?!

Ouch! No practice Saturday and a sore lower lip that looked like I'd gotten overly-aggressive on Botox. What to do? There are no other trumpeters in our Church. Well, I decided to forge ahead. By this morning I was still not out of the woods - played the horn a little to the side with extra upper-lip, took some things down an octave, and prayed heavily. It wasn't flawless - thank goodness my husband could cover when I had trouble sustaining the fanfare - I was blowing air by the end of that all high-staff and above arrangement when my lip said "no more", but I think they'll let me come back again.

So, I think I may be eligible for some kind of Purple Heart or something for this service, but all for the glory of God.

- Gliss