Easter Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccb_22, Apr 4, 2010.

1. doug finch

doug finch Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    I haven't been at it long enough to play with anybody,but wish you all a good one anyway. DF

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    No gigs this Easter - preparation for ANZAC Day - practicing the National Anthem - Advance Australia Fair, a couple of awkward little expressions in the middle and the march pack is just so so small. The old eyes are really at their limit and the memory is failing - ahhhhhhhhh.

:cool: (imagine my white cane tapping on the music stand - no wait, that's the BD).

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ted, Those little march sheets are the bane of all us older players......Buck( who's in progressive bi-focals, and they STILL ain't enough):oops:

GG, A trumpet players worst nightmare! Cutting up the chops a day before a big gig:-o
    Glad you got through it, hope there wasn't any blood in the mouthpiece. Been there, done that. High school, typical froshy mistake, ran into my squad leader's back:oops:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Mozart Coronation Mass, Hallelujah from Messiah, a couple other hymn accompaniments. Got to play with really good players, good music and everything ran smoothly. It paid nicely too, but more importantly, it was enjoyable to do.

At some point, I said goodbye forever to the type of Easter/Christmas gig where I'm the only wind player, the horn is glued to my face for three services playing poorly written hymn descants for less money than working at the golf course that day. Maybe that's a little cynical, but I did not enjoy those.

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I had a great Easter gig today - two services at a Presbyterian church I hadn't played for before. Good organist, choir did well, and people were very nice. Played two services on C trumpet, and made as much as I usually make playing 3 services for the Methodists! They are already talking enthusiastically about having me back, so I think we were all happy! :D

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    LOL!!! Well, I made a deal with the Lord that if my local parish ever asks for me to play, I'll do it..gratis, so that was the gig I played today at 10 and 12!

I got a call last Tuesday to play on Thursday night, and that was a little more fun.

At least I didn't offer any clams this weekend.

7. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington

I'm looking forward to being able to do that myself. I think I need a bit more talent and a few more years to build my reputation. That or a better paying day job.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    That's the one.

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    We did a Good Friday service, too. Simple, but with harmon's, no stem( brick wall time). We got exactly the effect the preacher wanted, haunting and distant. One parishoner thought we were a recording! it went under a disertation in a fixed program. She was exstatic.
    My wife and SIL said they got quite a few compliments today after the service, while I was busy tearing down( horn stand, music stands, horns)......Buck:oops:

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    First time in years I haven't had a gratis gig--my choice. I could have played , but the music the worship team did really didn't lend itself to trumpet or flugelhorn. Maybe I'll get a bass trumpet before next year rolls around.