Easter Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccb_22, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    This year I didn't play, and got to listen. I realized what a huge impact music has.

I also noted that the brass quartet could have been better had I coached them, that I would have played more decisively than the soloist.

Then I went back to being a listener.

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    As VB says, music do have a huge impact on people.

On this year's Easter day, I experienced that a person on one of the first rows
    cried openly when the last psalm of the service was sung by the congregation.

It has happened when I have played in funerals, but never before
    in a service. It was an eye opener to me and my fellow musicians.

[​IMG]

3. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well, I was fortunate enough to play Easter for the first time in 16 years, it was awesome. A sunrise service in Fernandina Beach, Fl. We played alot of stuff including, Halle. Chorus, a Rondue, a few hymns but it was just fun to be back at it. Most of the arrangements were Canadian Brass charts so challenging as well. I had a good time.

4. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

5. cuttlefishii

cuttlefishii New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    Same.

And the saddest part was my church didn't even have a trumpet player there ): I would've loved to have been given the chance to play. Oh well, maybe next year :D

6. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    Played in a quartet (2 trpt, 2 trbn) while running a 101-degree fever. Based on comments from my colleagues who attend that church we played well, but all I truly remember is that the picc trumpet seemed really, really loud!

It would have been nice to stay home, but where are you going to find a substitute at 9am Easter morning?

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Know what you mean, Sturmbill. All three of us had sinus issues Sunday morning, plus, I' allergic to Easter lillies.
    Used to help part time delivering flowers during the two big seasons. Every time I walked into the green house that had the lillies in it........WHAM!!!!!:roll::dontknow::oops:

8. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Died of incense burning.... I love Easter services, but the censer being swung around and around and around and around, right in front of a quintet that is breathing in copious amounts of air.

Just a minor dilemma in the grand scheme of things. It was a very blessed day, and I got to play the trumpet and get paid!

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I quit doing catholic services for that very reason!

10. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    For me, A tune called "Jesus Lives, Alleluia" on cornet with my church choir during preparation of gifts and recessional with the church bell choir playing an arrangement of "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" on C trumpet. Saturday Vigil Mass - same tunes, but reversed placement. That's an experience, playing with bell choir that all of us should have, just once. Balance is really hard depending on what octave bell sets are playing at any given time. Both Sat. Vigil and Sunday service were gratis, but that's what I do at Easter in my parish church.

Michael