Easter Gigs...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Apr 8, 2007.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I have 4 gigs for Easter this year: Vigil (last night), 8 & 10 AM this morning, and 6 this evening.

I wanted to share my Vigil gig last night. It was the first Vigil for a young Priest freind of mine in his own church as a full pastor. We had to drive 50 miles to do the job, but to see the light on his face when we got there was worth double that drive. It was just my wife and I doing the gig in a small country church in the metropolis of Grand Prairie, Louisiana.

Sometimes we go to gigs and we play for pay -- do our best as musicians, but the gig is just another normal gig like we always play. We collect our checks and move onto the next job. It was really nice to have a job where playing for the person performing the Mass was a true joy! I hate to say this but I would have played that job for free, and would do it again for him next year if the call came asking us to do it. A free gig offer is very high praise from this guy who loves his paychecks!!!

Well, time to go get set up for 10:00 Mass! Thanks for letting me share!

Happy Easter to all.

2. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    happy easter.

3. tm_webmaster

tm_webmaster Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2006
    MA, USA
    Just got done playing 3 gigs this morning...

6am Sunrise Service
    - It started Snowing really hard, about 1/2 way through Christ the Lord Is Risen Today. It was 23F, kind of cold (especially that's it's Easter)
    8:30am - Te Deum, Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Alleluia
    10:00am - same

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Bandman,

Wonderful post! My 1st public playing after picking back up the horn was during Mass at a parish in Riverton, Wyoming. The pastor and I had become friends after attending a week long conference. We've kept up our friendship, playing golf every now and then, dining, and discussions.

The organist was top notch and it was such a thrill to play again, and at Easter Mass atop it all! No playing for me this year as work intrudes most onerously.

Thanks for telling us about your experience becaue it gives me a chance to share vicariously in the joy.

Happy Day,

Richard Oliver

5. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    When I got back into playing last year after my move to Fl, my first gig was Easter too. The trumpet player at my grandparents church could not make it and they told the pastor that I played trumpet. I had only been practicing again for about a month and all of a sudden I had to play lead for a orchestra on Easter Sunday. Talk about nerve-wracking. I got through it ok and am now their full time trumpet player. God works in weird ways sometimes huh?

HAPPY EASTER :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  6. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I only played one service this Easter, but it was easily the most taxing lineup of music I've ever played. On A picc: The Trumpet Shall Sound, Music for the Royal Fireworks, the descant from Bach's Holding and Affection. On Bb: Toccata from Widor's Symphony no. 5, and a whole slough of hymns that seemed to never end. This church takes their music very seriously and they definitely got their money's worth outta me, I'm BEAT!

7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I'm all churched out, bring on the ham...

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I am with you Jimi - churched out.

It was more like a cough, sneeze and sniffle fest with three sermons thrown in for good measure. There was lots of playing and running to the rest room in between services. This year we had to wear the choir robes. I hate it when that happens. LOL.

Steak (filet) cooked on the grill and steamed veggies for me.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I don't really have any church contacts because I never attended one on my own or with my family.
    I do do sub gigs at churches every so often. This year I did a sub job for a friend for palm sunday. I like church gigs because the people are always so complimentary and accommodating. The thing I don't like is that a lot of the time the people don't know much about music and they don't take into account things like transposition, range and the need to breath while you play. I am sure we have also had our run-ins with less than ideal organ players or organs.
    I always enjoy the services though. The challenge of reading something you have never heard before that is probably not written for the trumpet you decided to bring is always fun. And since I am not a member of any church, I am always sure to get a paycheck...which is a must because I am a poor student.

10. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Dress rehearsal from 7:00 to 7:45 this morning; 3 services: 8:15; 9:30; 11:00.

All contemporary music, first note for each service was a high Bb. Lots of D's and E's; loud rhythm section..

I'm pooped, but it went well, and we got lots of compliments.

Just finished ham, mashed spuds, peas, corn, squash, rolls.

Now it's nap time....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz