Easy playing or tiring horns.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zeus, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Zeus

Zeus New Friend

Feb 11, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    I've been reading posts that talk about easy playing horns and tiring ons. Could someone tell me what a 73 Getzen Severisen LB and a 78 Holton T401 is considered? For me I can play the Getzen longer before getting the rubber lip. Just curious where my horns fall in.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    IMO, it depends on the player. I play a large bore, it could be tiring to you but it is easy to me. This all matters on the player. So you tell us, are your horns easy playing or tiring horns?

3. Zeus

Zeus New Friend

Feb 11, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    My Holton tires me out a little faster but I can play a little higher on the Getzen. The Getzen has a LB stamp on the valve case, the Holton no markings.

4. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I agree that it depends on the player- and the mouthpiece(s) you use. For instance I play on regular .459 ML horns, but I have really large MP backbores that get large fast in the venturi. When I plug in my big backed MP's to large bore horns it feels like I'm blowing my lungs out. Yet, I've plugged in smaller backed MP's on large bores and they play just fine for me.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Cody makes a good point in that it really depends on the individual. However, if we were to survey large numbers, there would be some that would likely fall under easy or demanding (though some individuals will likely always differ).

To me, the most demanding horn I have is my Olds Recording followed by my Kanstul 991 (Constellation). The Recording gives the biggest sound you can imagine, but I feel like I am flying a 747 instead of a single engine piper cub. To me, easy horns are my Kanstul Chicago, Kanstul 1502 (Callichio), Kanstul 1503. Olds Super, Kanstul 1503 (think Bach 72), and Strads 37s and 72s are middle of the road. Not sure where my Olds Special falls. I use it for everyday practice.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow... so well stated... this is the exact feeling I get. Since I have been playing my Martin Committee, I am ending 4 set gigs and still with the power to do more. That has never happened before with the Recording.

7. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    I have had the same experience with my Recording too. I can be DONE with it and pick up my Kanstul 470 FBesson Meha and go on for another hour. I have wondered if it might have to do with the weight of the Recording. It is a much heavier horn the the Besson. Any Thoughts?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or could it be due the energy required to maintain a standing wave among a change in brass alloy found in this horn. Rowuk... give all of us pontificators a solution here.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know of any "tiring" horns. Just tiring players.

Each type of "decent" horn can be finessed. If you try and blow the crap out of an efficient horn like a Xeno, you kill yourself. If you play a Wild Thing with a Xeno type setup, you kill yourself. You only have to get to know your equipment and then you never ask questions like this.

The rubber lip just means that you are trying to muscle the horn around instead of stroking it.

Heavier, darker or more solidly braced horns can be harder to hear. If we like those horns, it is as simple as pointing the horn a bit towards the music stand to get more feedback. The ears are satisfied, the brain gets into the groove and we sing. Lighter, brighter or less braced horns will drill holes in your ears if you blow directly into the stand. Their construction leaks more energy towards the player reducing the need for reflections from the stand.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm with Rowuk here -- my Recording used to tire me out when I could keep going all night with my Destino until I "calibrated" my feedback from the Recording. After about 5 months playing the Recording better I don't find any real difference between the two in this respect, and I'm getting more colour/expression from the Recording. I used to pick the Destino for gigs without question but now I can pick the horn for the music.

--bumblebee