Easy playing or tiring horns.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zeus, Mar 25, 2012.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Rowuk, you always bring us back to reality. No easy solutions. You have to make it work, it's not the horn, right?

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    One of the rules of playing is the horn, mouthpiece, and player needs to match. Change one and another change is likely needed.
    Unless you are a world class player (and there are a few on this site) who can make anything work to their advantage (and they will make a change when necessary), you will need to make adjustments.
    Personally, I don't use multiple Bbs. I use a Schilke B1 Bb which I make work in every situation. It can part your hair at 10 feet or fill a large hall with a big sound. I usually use just one mouthpiece, a GR65M (think 5C) and change my thought patterns, but will make mouthpiece adjustments (all GR65 series) if needed.
    RT

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Geez, my newly acquired Recording speaks as easily as any horn I have owned. How I will feel after a couple of hours playing remains to be seen.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Congrats, I hope you are mesmerized and delighted!

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    +1 on the MEHA...But I also find that I can play my Connstellation 28b all day?

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My gut tends to agree with Rowuks spin on this... all things being equal ...
    but
    If your valves are out of alignment on one of the horns is dirty or ???? then it could also produce the same result.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can play any horn I own for hours w/o problems (except from my wife). :-)
    It's all in learning to manage yourself and horn.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah, but the more important question, how do we manage our wives?

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Send them shopping!!!:lol::lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The condition of a horn can make a difference in ease of playing. Is the horn dirty inside. Is there excessive valve wear? Are the piston ports lined up with the ports in the casing? Is the horn put together properly? All of these can make a horn harder to blow than another. I play 4 different horns regularly. A NY Bach ML 37, a Schilke ML B5, A Benge 7X .470 bore and an old Conn 22B .443 bore. I don't have any problems switching between them. But I spent a lot of time playing each horn to get used to how they blow.