Eb, D, Db, lost?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Apr 26, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I just bought a 1963 Conn Victor 22B. It came with a Bach 3C mouthpiece which gives the horn a full, darkesh sound, so I'm making a switch from using my Rudy Muck 17C for this horn. It plays beautifully but low Eb, D, and Db, washes out when I play a chromatic scale up and down. I guess it's worse on the way down. It's like air has just come out of a tire. I'm pretty sure it's not my breathing because the low C played after those notes is full and rich............help!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The one thing they have in common is third valve. Any weird stuff going on with the valve or the valve slide?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  3. prof5

prof5 New Friend

Mar 4, 2005
    Check for leaks, and not just water keys!

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I played a conn victor in junior high and most of high school. I am in favor of the third valve not being fully down. Let us know what you find out.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It sounds like a leak for sure! Could also be a very worn out 3rd valve.

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    FALSE ALARM! I'm really sorry guys. It wasn't the horn it was me. Those notes are back, and I'm adapting well to that 3C mouthpiece. I behaved like a hypocondriac rushing to the TM doctors over a symptom that just required time. What is interesting is that in a previous thread I complained about the results I had on a 3C. But the combination of this Conn Victor 22B and the Bach 3C has changed my mind. I think I finally got my hands on a decent horn. I can just imagine the awakening I'll have if I win the Eclipse!!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    DON'T PANIC! You are not the first of us to discover a problem resulting from a loose screw behind the mouthpiece!

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's been my experience that vintage Conns play very well on vintage Conn mouthpieces. If you can pick up an old Conn 4 cheap, give it a try. I bought a '60 Conn 6B Victor, and tried my 3C (my usual trumpet mouthpiece) on it, and it didn't play as well as I hoped it would - intonation issues and some stuffyness. I bought an old Conn mouthpiece just to see how the original equipment piece performed and it plays great. I'm not sure why it works, but I'm sticking with it.;-)

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Dale,
    I appreciate your suggestion, and I'll look into a vintage Conn mouthpiece. But I must tell you that this horn and mouthpice combo is giving me nice intonation and sound..........tom

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!:cool: