Eb/D Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by music matters, Jan 23, 2006.

1. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Manny,

I have played Bb trumpet/cornet (as a hobby) for 22 years and have decided to finally take some performance qualifications. The repertoire lists at Diploma level (UK ABRSM exams) have a number of pieces written for D trumpet only, and some for Eb. I was therefore considering buying an Eb/D trumpet to perform some of this Baroque repertoire in future recitals/examinations.

I have, however, never played a D/Eb trumpet before so my questions are:
    1) How hard are they to adapt to compared to a regular Bb? What, if any, are the playing problems for a player who has always played on a Bb?
    2) Do you generally use the same mouthpiece as your Bb?
    3) Would you recommand that I try this option to cover this period in my future recitals, and to develop my trumpet playing extending it into the D/Eb trumpet, or should I just concentrate more on Bb playing?
    4) If I decide to get an Eb/D trumpet, what experience do you have with the different models and what would you recommend? I believe that most professionals use the Schilke E3, but this is quite expensive, expecially as my playing would predominantly still be on Bb if I decided to get an Eb/D. Would the Yamaha 6610 Eb/D or the German B and S (which looks similar to the Schilke), which are both about half the price of the Schilke, but still professional models, work well?

Looking forward to hearing your responses,

Best wishes,

Graham.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hi Graham,
    Manny is out of town, so hopefully he won't mind someone jumping in and answering before he gets a shot...

1) I said before in a post about switching to C trumpet from B flat that the change from B-flat to E-flat is one of the easier changes. Because the instrument is pitched a fourth higher, many of the harmonics line up. For example, on both instruments a concert G is player 12, concert A-flat is played 1, concert B is played 2. Take something you know well, like the exposition of the Haydn, and try it on B-flat, then switch to E-flat. Hopefully it isn't too rough. That having been said, a lot of times the intonation is better on the bigger trumpets, so you really have to pay attention with an E-flat trumpet (I'm going through this right now).

2) There's another post about using different mouthpieces for different instruments somewhere around here... Most of the trumpeters I know use the same mouthpiece on all large instruments (everything but picc). If you play Monette mouthpieces, you'll need to get a special E-flat mouthpiece. Otherwise, at least in the begining, you should be fine on what you're playing now.

3) This sounds more like a personal question... Do you need an E-flat to achieve your longterm goals, whatever they may be?

4) I've had bad luck with Schilkes. Besides being overpriced, it was always very hard for me to get the sound I wanted out of them. A friend of mine has a "B and S" and it plays great. I also really liked the Stomvi E-flat I played a while ago. I think both are considerably less than Schilkes.

Hope that helps. I'm sure Manny will have more to say when he gets back.

-Jimi

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    1) Adapting really isn't as big a challenge as you think. Just play some Getchell's (or other simple etudes) on your Eflat and you will quickly develop your ear and the chops will fall in line.
    2) I have always used the same mouthpiece as my big horns with fine results.
    3) Continually developing your Bflat playing can only improve your Eflat playing. Always play your Bflat and throw in a little Eflat each day, but it doesn't have to dominate your practice time.
    4) If the Yamaha 6610 is the short bell version, that is a great alternative. I had one for years and loved the sound. It has a very cornetty sound. The intonation wasn't perfect, but it was workable. I would give that serious consideration. You might even find one used for a great price.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    1. Adapting to Eb isnt that big of a challenge like the other two have said. I did Clarke studies on it for awhile and that gets the mind working.

2. I use the same mouthpiece on all the larger horns so that is the best starting point, you may have to go to a shallower cup but only experimentation will tell you that.

4. I have a Bach large bore long bell Eb/D. I really like the sound, it has the same bell as my C (239) intonation can be an adventure at times (at least on mine). I tried the Yamahas and Schilkes and I sounded really bad on them. So don't rule the Bachs out either.

3. Play the Bb every day. I find I am happier as a player when I warm up on the Bb even if I dont play it any more that day. The improvement you make on one will help you with the other.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I'm too chicken to say anything until Manny does first so I'll wait until next week.

6. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    you just said something though, right?

wait so did i, CRAP!

7. bj

bj New Friend

Oct 31, 2003
    Removed

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Good luck!

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Graham,

You mentioned "baroque repertoire". If this is the only reason you are considering a higher pitched horn, you may want to mention what selections are actually listed as this will be key (no pun intended) to what pitch your instrument should be... :-)

I too will leave the questions for Manny to answer... but wanted to point out that the Eb may not be your best choice for D trumpet parts. Concertos, yes. Orchestral D trumpet (baroque) music, not so much. We all know it can be done on D, but much of it is better performed on A picc.

Rogerio

10. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Thank you all very much for all of your advice - it is very much appreciated.

The repertoire that uses other keyed trumpets on my syllabus is as follows:

Clarke: Suite in D (D trumpet part)
    Corelli: Sonata in D ( D trumpet part - has a C part as well)
    Fasch: Trumpet Concerto a 8 in D ( D and A trumpet part)
    GB Fontana: Sonata #3 in C (D trumpet part)
    Handel: Suite in D (D trumpet part)
    Overture to the Opera Atlanta (D trumpet part)
    Telemann: Concerto in D (D trumpet part)
    Torelli: Trumpet Sonata in D (D trumpet part)
    Trumpet Sinfonia in D (D trumpet part)

and I can play the Haydn on either a Bb or Eb trumpet.

Because there is quite a lot of repertoire to choose from using a D trumpet, I thought perhaps I should be exploring this as well as the Bb repertoire. I can still fill my recital with Bb trumpet parts, but I thought it would be good for my education on the trumpet to explore this repertoire with the shorter term goal of being able to play this period in my future recitals/examinations, which would be a good contrast I thought, and longer term I thought it would help me become a more complete trumpeter with a greater perspective on performing the repertoire from this period.

I think (!) I was asking for advice if it would be good for me to get a D/Eb trumpet for the reasons above. If this is a yes, I would also appreciate any advice on which of the above repertoire you think would be the best for me to study and then I can look to buying a D/Eb trumpet and ordering the music.

Thank you again for your help and advice,

Best wishes,

Graham.