Eb to F trill?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Roninwar1982, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Roninwar1982

Roninwar1982 New Friend

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I am doing an etude study that has a bottom line eb to f trill that has me stumped. Playing it slow is fine, but when I try to speed it up, it sounds like I'm gurgling water. Are there any alternate fingerings that I am not aware of? Appreciate any help I can get.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    No alternate fingerings. Keep practicing.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Get an E-flat trumpet--problem solved.

4. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    Clarke #4 perhaps

5. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Yup, Clarke #4 is magic for this sort of thing.

LE

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nobody ever said that all trills have to be FAST trills. They just have to be "clean" first and related to the tempo that you are playing. A gracefully executed slow trill can often have more musical power than the maschine gun approach favored by the more "athletic" types.
    All intruments have their limits, learning to turn those limits into assets are what those exercises are about. A good example would be a "classical" half note Eb F trill: 2 8ths (Eb F) followed by an 8th note triplet (Eb F Eb). Sometimes this would also work as a pentuplet (5 equal notes Eb F Eb F Eb). The most important part is not the "absolute" approach, rather searching the music for what fits best. That makes you a more "mature" player - with specific advantages over the "technician".