Eb trumpet intonation.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by georgerarnold, Jul 28, 2011.

1. georgerarnold

georgerarnold New Friend

Sep 21, 2009
    Hello,

I have an east German Eb rotary valve trumpet from around the 70's or 80's. I recently took a break from playing it and was just playing my Bb cornet.

When I picked up my Eb yesterday I realized how 'out of tune' it is. I always have noticed it, but yesterday it seemed almost impossible to manage.

The problem is that the second valve has no tuning slide and I think its this valve that is out.

The trumpet is in good condition with no dings or dents.

Any advice or knowledge would be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    You sure it is? Maybe you are 'hearing' Bb and not the Eb pitch?

3. georgerarnold

georgerarnold New Friend

Sep 21, 2009
    Im sure there's something up with it. I do a lot of recording and have always had trouble getting every note in a scale in tune even when I was only playing Eb.

I'm from Somerset too!

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

That could be the problem right there! :lol:

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Based on what I have read and heard, it seems to be the nature of the beast. AND, if it's not a top of the line horn, it probably would amplify this seemingly inherent issue.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Familiarity with the higher-pitched trumpets goes a long way toward playing them in tune. Usually the shorter (higher key) the horn, the more magnified the intonation issues are. Also, the shorter the horn, the more evident the shortcomings of inexpensive horns are.

I'll bet if you practice on your Eb with more regularity, you'll be able to play it better in tune. How well in tune depends on how inherently out of whack the horn is, though.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It is not uncommon for the second valve slide to be a tad bit long on trumpets built in the old "East" Germany. (I'm guessing it came out of Markneukirchen.) It allows the first and second valve combinations to be better in tune. In a way, it makes sense--F# and B are usually the third in the chords we play, and should be low (D and G chords), but it is a real pain when the B is the fifth or a leading tone, and makes for awkward alternate fingering.

Sorry, but with the second slide non-removable, the option of shortening it with a file isn't there. :(

8. georgerarnold

georgerarnold New Friend

Sep 21, 2009
    I was afraid thats what you were going to say. I don't know about "top of the line" trumpet but it wasn't cheap. So I guess I just have to live with it or sell it.

Thanks for the info!