Eb Trumpet Scales & Fingering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Demon Steve, May 17, 2005.

1. Demon Steve

Demon Steve New Friend

May 17, 2005
    Ipswich, England
    hi all!

i've just taken up trumpet again after about 7 years. i used to play Bb and have just joined a Ska band that have given me an Eb trumpet to play!

i could transpose everything but its taking me some time.

can anyone email me scales and fingering for Eb trumpet

my email address is [email protected]

thank you all in advance for any help you can give me!

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    While tuba players have Bb fingerings and C fingerings, etc. trumpet players only have one set up fingerings. We transpose. Low C is always open and low D is always 1-3, no matter what trumpet you're playing. However, unless you're looking at an Eb trumpet part you're going to have to transpose.

Let's say your looking at music that's in concert pitch, or C. You have to transpose every note you see down a minor third. That is, if you see a G written you have to think of it as E and finger is 1-2. See how it works? If you're looking at a Bb trumpet part you have to do the same thing except think of every note as a fourth down. A written C would be like an G on Eb trumpet and be fingered open. The same thing goes for the key signature. If the tune is in the key of F concert, one flat, the key of the tune for Eb trumpet is going to be D major.

I hope that helps. Ask if it wasn't clear.

3. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    SKA band?? Eb trumpet??? Your going to need a Bb dude.

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Well...yeah. That's true too. :roll: :D