Eb trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpetpimp, Apr 26, 2004.

1. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I'm thinking about buying a new Eb and I understand Schilke makes some great ones. I know you can get different bells since all the Eb's are tuning bell. I understand many people use a brigher bell for chamber and solo work and darker bell for orchestral. My question is: Would it be easier to darken a 3-valve or brighten 4-valve?

I know some people say the 4-valve models are too heavy to appropriately play say, the Haydn or the Hummel. I'm thinking that Eb's are plenty bright anyway and a lighter bell would be great on a 4-valve for solo and a heavier bell would work for when you're trying to sound like a bigger horn(Bb, C).

Would that be a wise choice? Any thoughts?

2. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    E3L this is what I have and it is a great horn. I have heard that the D bells that come witht he E3L are a little stuffy but I have never played the D bell and probably never will. The Eb bell sounds fine and plays wonderfully. Most people can't tell whether I'm playing Bb C or Eb. A great Eb trumpet.

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    That's good to know. Does anyone have any experience with 4 valve Eb's? Schilke or otherwise?

4. Nonsense Eliminator

Nonsense Eliminator New Friend

Nov 2, 2003
    I have never encountered a 3-valve Schilke that I would expect to mistake for a C trumpet.

Choosing an E flat trumpet can be a tricky business, because you pretty much have to compromise something. If you want a horn that sounds like a C trumpet, you're going to have a horn that doesn't respond as well in the upper register and is a little tubby-sounding for more delicate work. If you want something that's great in lighter passages, it's going to sound like a duck when you try to play loud. You need to figure out what you're going to use it for most, and what you're prepared to compromise. If you intend to play it in loud orchestral passages, IMO the E3L is a poor choice in most respects.

5. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    The E3L comes with a #4 bell, my understanding is that it is not uncommon to order it with a #3 bell to open up the sound. Herseth has a huge #1 bell on his :!: :shock:

-marc