Eb1 & Gb2 lost in the rush...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 4, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm loosing clarity with Eb1 and Gb2 when I play a chromatic scale at "my top speed". Is there something I can do to improve this beside the obvious practice and repetition? What I mean is, In order for me to improve the results on my own I have to think about those two notes as I come to them individually. I'd rather have them pop out fully like all the other notes.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Play slower until the notes all speak evenly. Turbo charged chromatic scales aren't going to help much if you can't play them at a normal rate.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's pretty much the best advice you're going to get. Slower is better until you achieve control.

ML

4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I was afraid of that...boring...but I'll do it.........CONTROL OF EACH NOTE...........thanks

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have seen a very interesting advice (can't remember the the author or the thread, nevermind) on TM concerning practicing technical stuff...Take it in a speed where you think of being able to do it. Then, if it does not work, take it slower. If it does not work yet take it even slower and so on. My addition to that: If you can play it well ten time in a row, you can augment a bit the speed...and then 10times without mistake etc. It is almost the same what Breke... said. Don't practice not until you get it right, but untill it can't turn wrong.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Buy a C trumpet, then the notes are C# and E where you have no problems!
    :-).
    Just for the sake of it, does this problem show up on other trumpets too?

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Crowmadic,

Now, see... that kind of reaction is fascinating to me, the "boring" comment. Let's break that down.

What bores us? Things that we can do or understand well enough so that when we do it, it's natural, easy, not a problem, not interesting because there is no challnge. That's what bores us whether it's trumpet playing or bowling or reading.

To say that it's boring to do means that you have reached an optimal sound and approach with regard to sound production and all that. Yet, you have a problem with note connection when you are trying to play chromatic runs quickly. That tells me that things may not be what they seem to you and that you may wish to look a little deeper than you presently are. Maybe your boredom comes from peering at the surface of your playing and not critically enough to find the things you could truly benefit working on.

Just a thought based on your passing comment.

ML

8. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Rowuk, I'll have to take better notice, and report back to you. My insticts tell me it's not the trumpet but maybe it is?

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Manny, I'm glad you analyzed my comment, It makes me want to really take notice if I'm more satisfied with the results (as it applies to Eb1 & Ab2) on other horns like rowuk suggested..........thanks, tom