Ebay Auctions.... am I wrong

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Darten, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I was curious what others thought of this, since I actually noticed it today. Often there is one or two auctions up for a trumpet that costs anywhere from 4k (Taylor) to 9k (Monette), and the auction states, trumpet, no mouthpiece, no case.

Does that seem silly to anyone else, that you can spend 9k on a horn, and you don't even get a case? At that point, I would think 9k for a horn warrants at least a 50 dollar used Conn case from 1983 without handles or locks... something. Especially, it the horn costs that much, what are they going to do? Bubble wrap it a foot thick?

It just seems silly to me.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only thing that counts is the accurate description. If you know what you are getting into, there is no issue.

Monette even ships the horn and case separately when you buy the instrument new. They have a combination of a very sturdy box, bubble wrap and chips that they have great success with. Depending on the model of Monette, it may not even fit in a standard case. Many have a larger than standard bell and the valves are placed further back.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    That would actually be better. It is quite rare that a case fits a horn snuggly enough that it will not move at all inside the case. Take a look at Anderson plating recommendations for shipping horns: bubble wrap, packing peanuts. Other shops doing restoration/repairs that I have contacted had the same recommendation, and it does make sense. I don't disagree with the idea that throwing in a case and a MP as goodies would be appropriate for horns of that price, but then one could also say that if you're playing at the level calling for this kind of horn, you already have the MPs you need. I had a period when I was buying Ambassadors and I ended up with a couple of MPs that I really had no use for. I kept them to include in the deal when I sold the horns back but I had to caveat the buyer in the case of one MP that seemed quite specialized (Olds Mendez #2, felt really strange to me).

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
  5. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
  6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Amen Darten!

Business . . . If I could get someone to part with over 5000 bones for a trumpet I would make them buy their own case too. Or they could have one of mine for a mere $2500 ("The Poverty Pack"). There is no shortage of people with more money than brains. I can hear their responses already! Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Save it for someone in Somalia.

I use the Dr. Valve method when I send a horn to the shop. It's a separate issue.

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I think that anybody that's spending 4-9 thousand on an instrument probably already has a case they like to use. I know that I don't need anymore cases...so I'd actually prefer not to get anymore. I don't need them!

Kujo

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that the assumption that only idiots buy expensive things is idiotic. Even with cheap(er) horns, the cases are not free. The customer just doesn't see what portion is the case. Price is always the weakest of arguments because there is NOTHING that someone else can't make cheaper if they are capable of copying. That is why North America has exported so many jobs. That export is pretty stupid in my book.

Kind of a shame that an American who is running a business, has a backorder of 12-18 months for high quality instruments and employs people with very reasonable working conditions and benefits gets written off because they have a business plan that works. Comparing it to Somalia is brainless. There your business plan has to include bribes not quality to even stay alive.

I am paying for 5 kids in Zimbabwe to go through school (uniforms, books, meals, media) in addition to owning a Monette trumpet and case that I payed extra for.

What ignorance!

9. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Please accept my humblest apologies for baiting you. I knew it was coming. Sigh, there will be more.

People line up by the thousands to buy over-priced houses and cars. Why should trumpets be any different? I am not against anybody's successful business model. Obviously there is a market. The reference to Somalia had nothing to do with a business model, but rather, blatant, in-your-face, let-them-eat-cake, excess. Perhaps sometime in the future your five kids in Zimbabwe will visit you in the middle of the night to thank you. You could play your horn for them. And maybe they'll play their instruments for you.

Ignorance comes at many price levels, even if you "payed" for it. Enjoy your horn, I'm sure it's way better than anything I own.

Signed,

One of the unwashed, I guess.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You're showing your arrogance.

No one has a gun held to their head forcing them to buy anything. Also, people who work for their money are entitled to spend it however they like, without your permission.

If you don't like the price someone is charging for an item... don't buy it.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.