ebay buy ..sound odd?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by splinter, May 19, 2007.

1. splinter

splinter New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    uk
    Hi ive been looking for a nice beginners model,and even started a thread on the horn section..Well soon after i saw this trumpet on ebay with just one hr to go for a benge 3x starting bid £200,i won it for £200.. He had no feedback but was in London,so i thought i'd pick/pay it up in person..

Ive written to him to arrange a pick up,hes emailed back hes living in Italy,as he had traveled out there to sell it there,and decided to stay for the summer ?

eBay.co.uk: Vintage Benge trumpet Bb. Made in L.A (item 170112441370 end time 18-May-07 19:53:09 BST)

I hate to think bad of someone,and sorry if this isn't the place to talk about my doubts,just wondered what you guys thought

andy

2. splinter

splinter New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    uk
    I'm going to answer myself ..Just done a search on its serial number ,and notice it was once being sold in the USA ebay with an American location,had a starting bid of a grand that time...

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Splinter,
    listen to me:
    !!!!!!!!!!!!PLAY BEFORE YOU PAY!!!!!!!!!!!
    Unless you just want to start collecting horns, you need to make sure that they work properly and that involves a play test.

200 Quid is a good price for a Benge if the axe is decent shape. eBay sales are binding and the location info and shipping costs too. If the seller backs down or tries to change the terms inform eBay immediately. You may just get lucky! Pay only through some secure way like PayPal.

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Rowuk is right. And, it all still may work out well for you and the seller. Try not to fret.

Richard

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    sure looks like a fake ad to me.

6. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Here is the ad for where it was listed for $1,100 but it was *never* sold:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Benge-trumpet-Bb-Made-in-L-A_W0QQitemZ200107445685QQihZ010QQcategoryZ118975QQcmdZViewItem
    Ended May-16-07 19:00:51 PDT</SPAN>

Note that for the above attempted sale the seller “jpresits ( 0 )“ in “Mishawaka, IN, United States†had zero previous selling experience in eBay.

Here is the ad where it sold for 200 pounds (approximately $400)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170112441370&rd=1&rd=1
    Ended 18-May-07 19:53:09 BST</SPAN>

Note that for the above attempted sale the seller “tdav3563 ( 0 )†in “London, London, United Kingdom†had zero previous selling experience in eBay.

The photos of the trumpet are all identical in the 2 ads..

And how did the trumpet that was *unsold* as of May 16th in the United States become *sold* 2 days later in London?

I suspect that *both* ads might be fake.
    But there is no way to contact the person who placed the first ad to find out if he really did sell it to the person who placed the second ad, because no matter what the person who placed the first ad says you don’t know if it can be believed because you don’t know if his first ad was fake.
    The 2 ads might be from the same fake using 2 different names.
    Or from 2 different fakes.
    Or the first ad might be real and only the second ad fake.

- morris

7. splinter

splinter New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    uk
    I know Row :-( just thought it was a chance to get a bargain..Ive contacted ebay,its just all gone a little odd, locations changed from London to Italy..Also it was listed on ebay USA as location Mishawaka, IN. ended May 16 different member,also no feeback..

If i'm wrong i apologies to the gentlemen, but to risky or me..

are play before i play :lol:

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  8. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    And note how the person who placed the *second* ad said:
    "I played alot of jazz with it and alway got great reviews. I am the original owner by the way."

That would have to mean that he was claiming that he also placed the first ad but he chose to change his eBay seller's ID to place the second ad.

- morris

9. splinter

splinter New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    uk
    Yeah thats what i saw Morris, i was the bidder on second one for £200..Ive contacted Ebay i havent paid anything,i rarely buy things without feeback, but was going to collect it in person..

10. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    You hadn't paid yet?
    Now *that* is good news! :D

I was afraid you were going to have to deal with eBay in attempt to get your money back.
    I paid with PayPal a month ago to get a trumpet that was misrepresented.
    The PayPal complaint system is a frustrating joke.
    The seller was allowed to see my claims, but I wasn't allowed to see his claims, so I had no way of responding to his claims.
    I finally had to just give up on the $100 I'd spent.

- morris