EBay Descriptions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigDub, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I once saw an alto sax listed as a "Jazz Trumpet". I've also seen mutes described as "silencers" and "baffles"... Baffling :p

It's always good to watch out for these kinds of descriptions, as it can be indicative of the seller not knowing what they've got, and (hopefully) henceforth listing it at a fraction of the real worth!

2. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's good to see that this vendor is willing to answer "ANT QUESTIONS"... It's nice to think that SOME people can still speak the language of ants!

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    No, just a sad comment on the mutability of human endeavour.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Very funny indeed! Love these. Here's another:
    "The valves all press...........
    Has not been tested for playability
    Instrument is sold in AS FOUND condition. It may need repairs, tuning,"

TUNING? that's a deal breaker right there! I've priced tuning at the repair shop and I know that can get pretty steep! LOL

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I was thinking the same thing- you could catch a diamond in the rough if the person doesn't have a clue what he has! A real collector is aware of the value of a vintage horn, but the non-player might think it's too old to be worth much!
    ;-)

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That is exactly how I got my Severinsen for $150. The guy at the pawn shop didn't have any idea what he had. He was putting it out on the floor that day and couldn't find the model "number". Of course the model is Severinsen, and I guess he didn't know who that was.:lol:

I probably saved hundreds of dollars because the guy never watched the Tonight Show.:thumbsup:

Sometimes, ignorance is somebody else's bliss.

Turtle

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, you guys got it good. Around here, EVERY horn is a collector's piece (most are a piece of something else :lol:). Saw a completely useless Harry Peddler in an antique shop (everything frozen, missing parts) and the guy wanted $75!!! I would have given $10 for wall art or experimentation.

8. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
  9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
  10. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Just what is a "valver" anyway? Obviously, us jazz musicians don't really need all those complicated parts to be in working order.ROFL