Ebay Fake Bach Megatones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Feb 26, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Have you guys ever used one. I just got mine and I don't think it's too bad. It's a little small for the reciever, but it's really comfortabe.

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    I got one from a shop from Texas. Don't remember the guy's name, but it sound asiatic.
    Tapper of the backbore was wrong and didn't fit on any trumpet receiver.
    No warranty, no money back, paypal not attending...
    Take care.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There isn't anything in this world that someone else can't steal the design of and make cheaper. I measure mouthpieces after 6 months. It takes that long to really tell if they do the entire job or slow one down. I work with manufacturers/dealers that work with me.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think a problem with a "fake" megatone is that it's likely a cosmetic copy with no real attempt to drive consistency with the rest of the original mouthpiece. There are so many variables to a mouthpiece that aren't visible to the naked eye that it's difficult to see if there's a problem until you play on it. The fact that they couldn't even produce an accurate trumpet shank should tell you something.

Good luck...

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I'd probably play a Weimar or "Bessons" trumpet before I played one of those fake Megatones.

6. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    A real Bach Mega Tone isn't exactly a bank breaker at about $80 online new and even less used. Why not play the real thing?

7. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    Why did you buy a fake?

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    One of my students got one on eBay for $12.95 and he got what he paid for. It is light weight and does not even come close to the quality excelled by my Bach Megatone.

Don't waste your money...

9. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I just performed with it (and I know, it's a little to early to perform with it), but it worked just fine. It's super comfortable and easy to adjust from a Vincent Bach 3c.
    I really enjoyed it.

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I had a knock off mega tone for awhile and it played fine, lots of power, no goofy issues. It was too powerful to fit in with the groups I played in.OLDLOU expressed and interest in it and I sold it to him. My Jet tone Merien c mp , to me, is a semi megatone, but can blend in ok. I am sure the quality varies. I think mine came from Texas somewhere, also. $80 is big money to me and not to be thrown out to try our an unknown quanitity of anything.