Ebay Fake Bach Megatones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Sparks

Sparks New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    You get what you pay for...right?

2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Isn't the Bach Megatone just a rip-off ("copy") of another guys idea anyway? :dontknow:

Kinda like copying a fake Rolex.

Tony

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Tony,

You mean 'Olds' right?

Regards,

Trevor

4. KRax!

KRax! Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2008
    Sweden
    I have had one. It was not at all a Megatone, but was well worth the small cost.

They are lighter than ordinary Bach mouthpieces, so in that aspect they are not a copy of a Megatone. Visually they are and also the throat and backbore are not that far from a Megatone. All in all they basically are an ordinary 3C with a more open throat and backbore. Quite fun to play with a nice flexibility, but maybe the sound was a little bit empty.

Taper, yes odd. At that time I had a Monette modified Olds Mendez. The taper did fit perfect in the Monette reciever.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    The fact that you're happy with it is the important part. Just remember that it's NOT a Bach Megatone so it will not give you the same result that the original will.

Hyundai makes a nice sports coupe, but it's not not the same as a Porsche 911. Yes, they're both sports cars and would run circles around my mini-van, but they're different things (I borrowed the analogy from someone who was comparing cheap Chinese trumpets to pro horns).

6. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    True true....it really is a nice piece

7. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Rowuk, can you talk in more detail about your mouthpiece selection process? Specifically, during this 6 months when are you using the "test" mouthpiece? Do you replace another mouthpiece with the new one completely? Or just during practice sessions?

I have made the assumption that you try several mouthpieces and decide within just a few hours/days that one MIGHT be right for you and discard the rest. Then you would take that mouthpiece and begin the 6-month journey. Am I close?

I ask this because it seems like 6 months is a long time to find out it's the wrong mouthpiece for you.

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Just be careful purchasing "no name" equipment. You never know the quality and what it will produce. Just like purchasing trumpets made in China...you could get one that is ok, but for the most part they are inferior. Same goes for "generic" mouthpieces. There is nothing like a tried and true name brand mouthpiece.

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I bought one that was supposed to be genuine and it was not. It was nothing like the 1 1/2c megatone that I already had at the time. No measurement was anywhere near original.It was an ebay job and I left bad feedback and the guy went off. It was rubbish to play.

10. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Well they were probably made to "look" the part not "play" the part.