eBay Lets Us Trumpeters Down...Yet Again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fatso DiMARTINo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Fatso DiMARTINo

Fatso DiMARTINo Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    This is not just another post begrudging a fraudulent seller on eBay. You really should read of my recent eBay trumpet buying experience, no matter what you may be considering buying on eBay. In short, the fraud got away without reprimand, and I wound up suspended for two weeks. Don't make my mistakes...

I bought a 1969 Conn 60B, eBay item number 150342839498, CONN TRUMPET SUPER CONNSTELLATION 6OB - eBay (item 150342839498 end time May-16-09 12:20:48 PDT)

Seller stated "NO DENTS." But the horn had two dents. No, there was nothing else in the case rolling and banging around. Only the horn. And UPS confirms this parcel was not opened for inspection.

I notified the seller and sent photos. I even nicely suggested she may have overlooked the dents. e-mail after e-mail, she refused to admit the dents or agree to a partial refund so that I could pay for dent removal. I even pleaded with her to maintain her 100% feedback score! She ignored me.

It became clear to me, this seller had no feeling for vintage trumpets and what they mean to a trumpeter. I had no other recourse but to post negative feedback. In less than 24 hours, eBay removed the negative. She had presented to eBay my e-mail pleading with her to save her 100% score, and eBay interpreted this as "feedback extortion."

One of the purposes of feedback is to alert the community of frauds. Try as I might to convince eBay they were doing a serious disservice to the musician community by hiding this fraud, they refused to reverse the feedback removal. I argued they should reprimand me directly instead of removing a factual and much diserved negative, but this too was to no avail.

eBay actually told me, had I not e-mailed the seller, the feedback would have stood! So much for "Try and work things out with your trading partner." In the future, I will notify the seller once. If they reply with any BS...they get a negative.

This seller was more full of **** than the all the green slime I bathed out of her trumpetROFL. And I told her so, out of frustration of knowing she walks away with not as much as a slap on the wrist, not even a warning :dontknow:. And that's what got me suspended--whilst I had auctions going! Nevertheless, I'm seving my suspension and taking responsibility for my actions.

I do have a few small measures of satisfaction, though:evil:. That fraud saw that I made $100 selling mutes and accessories she included with the horn (which I kinda stole for $305 because she incorrectly titled the 60B listing as "6 - capital O - B," and thus got hardly any views ;-)). I also ran a listing exposing the seller; eBay ended it, but not before 900 viewers saw the listing detailing the story about this fraudulent seller:play:.

Yes, I know about PayPal's Buyer Protection. But this seller found a way to slime-slither out of refunding my $ too.

Moral: keep temper in check...contact seller once...post negative...file complaint with PayPal...an eBay companyROFL.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "Moral: keep temper in check...contact seller once...post negative...file complaint with PayPal...an eBay company"

I think you've summed up the situation perfectly with the last sentence. It sucks that you went through all that. At least you have a nice horn!

3. Fatso DiMARTINo

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Well, gbdeamer, it sure is a nice horn. Lots of core and colors from warm to paint peel. But I think I'm gonna sell it after all. I've been playing a '55 Conn Constellation 28A long model cornet for the past five years or so. It may be a little cumbersome and heavy but it has a sound like no other horn I've ever played. There are a couple little spots where the nickel silver has worn to reveal the all copper Coprion bell. '55 was the very first year of the Conntellation's "wide bow" design finsihed in nickel with brass trim; yet in '55 there was no 38B Connstellation trumpet yet! Just the 28A long cornet. I was transitional in that it shared features of the '49 - '54 Connstellation 28B trumpet in brass with nickel accents, yet incorporated the classic wide bow design finished in nickel with brass accents, as we associate Maynard with.

Of course another reason for selling it is simply to spite that liar. Oh, won't she be seething when she sees it on eBay going for twice what she got from me for it :lol:.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you can sell it for twice as much I'm not sure why you're complaining?

I think that's the nature of ebay. I can't tell you how much crap I've bought on ebay that has sucked me dry and padded my repair shop's overhead. That's the nature of the online auction.

It stinks that they seller wasn't willing to compromise but then again you knew that you could sell a 60B for a good chunk of change on ebay.

FWIW coming from an ebay veteran (scarred but not dead yet!).

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I bought a Bach on ebay last summer. I was really worried because it took so long to get to me. I bought it knowing it was beat up, but I spent a few hours rebuilding it and it now plays like a dream. I use it more than my other two trumpets.

While I sympathize with you, I do think you shot yourself in the foot a bit, and Ebay's ruling was the right one.
    Two dents, unless really drastic, is really nothing to worry about.

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Post some negative feedback with as many details as possible. The sellers might not always know what it is they are selling, but the buyers do. Make them take it back or square up in some other monetary way or they will have to pay the consequences.

Could have been much worse. I don't think you fared too badly.

7. Fatso DiMARTINo

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Trent, hi, did you do a CD with Herb Pomeroy as guest? I have that one. Concerning everyone's comments in general, thanks for your observations. I'm feeling better to have shared this experience.

8. chetlives

chetlives Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Van Nuys, CA
    I agree with Brekelefuw that two dents is nothing to complain about. I have had good experiences on eBay. I bought my Connie and Benge there. The Conn needed an acid bath and rebuild and it looks really cool with its new stopnuts and third valve assembly which were missing. It was well worth the extra cost of repair. If you have a piece of history that ends up playing well, what better deal is there than that? My thanks to Robb Stewart for repairing my horns.

9. Fatso DiMARTINo

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks again for everyone's insights. I just don't like getting a dented horn when the seller's listing stated NO DENTS in caps. In fact, Every horn I've ever bought off eBay has been dent free (pings maybe, but no dents or signs of dent removal). So, I kinda was hoping to stay on a roll. Also, I hate seeing the horn on a mandrel--all that friction to get the dents out makes me cringe:shock:--the metal will never be the same. I know they try to work the metal as little as possible, but still... These are smallish dents, no more than 1/4" indentations, perhaps best left alone (they are just after the bow, underneath and nowhere near the flair).

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Have you ever seen a trumpet made??????? :-?