Ebay Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by johnny ray, Nov 22, 2011.

1. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010
    Has anyone ever seen a seller list a horn with a Buy It Now that makes the horn a great deal and with a starting bid that is very close (only about 10-20% less than the buy it now), and then someone comes along a puts in the opening bid and the buy it now disappears, and the horn ends up selling for way over the seller's original buy it now? For example...there's a 1934 Olds Super on Ebay now that had a buy it now of $400 and an opening bid of $350...someone bid $350 (and the current bid is $375, I think), and I will bet my Super Recording (just a figure of speech...don't anyone try to take me up on this) that this horn ends up selling for more than $400. I've seen this happen so many times. I feel like puttting in a bid for $400 just to make the original bidder have to bid more if he/she actually wants the horn. Maybe some bidders don't know that the buy it now will go away after they bid, or they don't realized that the buy it now is a great deal. Thoughts? Anyone else want to vent? (Oh, and yes, I was going to Buy It Now, but right after I clicked on the Buy It Now button, I got the "Buy It Now no longer available" message.)

JR

2. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I always thought the 'Buy It Now" would stay up until the bid went over that price. I suppose this would be a buyer/seller discretion.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Buy It Now only survives the first bid if there's a reserve.

Yes, it's annoying sometimes. These lowballers are hoping to get the item for the opening price because they believe no one else will bid. Usually they're wrong. But, perfectly legal activity, and actually better for the seller.

Tom

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I really prefer the buy it now option. That way I know I'm going to win it, and its at a price I deem acceptable. People that try to cut the price on something of such quality obviously don't appreciate the deal they're getting.They probably shouldn't have the horn, IMO.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Unfortunately, whether or not they DESERVE the horn is not in the equation.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I hate it when I see a horn I want, get outbid in the end, and see it on ebay a week later for the price it sold for + $50 shipping

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Newbs are annoying.

If you research ebay bidding on items you will see that the bidding price follows a curve that
    takes off sharply in the last day.

Greg

EDIT: I meant to say, that the buy it now price is almost always higher than the selling price.
    I've had a cold - not thinking so clear.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have bought several horns at the starting bid under the Buy it now price and have been the only bidder and got what I consider a fair deal, most have been high end though, $1000+. I will bid only to what I think a horn is worth to me, if I get it well and good, if I miss no harm done.

I have given up trying for a Super Recording, always seem to be beaten in the last seconds.

Regards, Stuart.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting comments. I am new at this game, but started bidding on a Martin Committee for way too high a price. I put in only two bids, well under the value of the horn. The representative of the seller sent me a message stating maybe the market is changing on committees and was going to get back to me after talking to the seller. In about an hour, I got a message that the seller rejected my second offer, but realized with my low balling and some other Martin Committee's coming out that day at much lower starting price, that the seller reduced the "buy it" price by over $1,000 and only a few hundred from my second bid. I got a message from the representative that the seller had dropped the price, found the new selling price as reasonable, pressed the "buy it" button, and I am now the proud owner of a 1946 Martin Committee!

Notice my Updated Signature Line!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Now that is cool!!! ... sound clips requested ... and perhaps an eval on the horn.
    I have never played a Recording or a Committee ... but my guess is that the Recording is a better all around playing instrument ...the Committee..well ... if you want that sound you learn to work it.