Ebay Purchases

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    This is actually an extension of the topic "Kanstul Repairs", but I feel this needs it's own space.

As an extremely budget conscious individual, I have shopped on Ebay and made trumpet purchases there. Every time the horn purchased had issues...typically piston / valve issues, but sometimes cosmetic problems as well.

My hard learned lessons are now shared with all of you...I will never buy a horn on Ebay again! The cost involved (original purchase price plus needed repairs) would have been better spent on a NEW horn, with a factory warranty and dealer support. Kanstul comes to mind here, but feel free to insert your own personal favorite manufacturer.

For those of you who will buy trumpets on Ebay, do yourself a favor -
    1. Make sure the seller is the original owner of the horn
    2. Ensure that the seller is in fact a trumpet player
    3. Find out when the trumpet was last disassembled and thoroughly cleaned / oiled / lubed
    4. Get photos of the horn in a completely disassembled state
    5. Obtain the serial number to research manufacturing data and history
    6. If the seller does not provide a return policy, do not waste your time

I'm sure most (if not all) of you already operate in this conservative manner when making an Ebay purchase. This post is primarily aimed at those who may be new to this forum, or have not made an instrument purchase on Ebay before.

2. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010
    I have purchased at least ten trumpets off of Ebay. I always buy only from sellers who post good and many photos and who have adequately described the condition. I also ask questions. I have never had any problems and have some very nice trumpets that play very well. I will also buy sometimes when the trumpet is an obvious great buy, that is when a seller has something that he/she does not really know the value of. For example, I got my Super Recording for a buy it now of less than $300. The seller obviously did not know what he was selling. So, basically what I am saying is that if a person is careful and patient, there are many good trumpet buys on Ebay. There are also some fine reputable sellers on Ebay...you just have to make sure you are dealing with one of them.

JR

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    When I buy a horn on ebay, it's a rare Buescher model bought for the express purpose of dragging to Charlie Melk (my local tech) and performing a complete restoration on. As long as all of the pieces are there, it's generally restorable. I've only had one horn were I don't plan to restore it after I received it but I paid so little for it that it wasn't worth the effort to try to return.

If you were hoping to buy a playable horn, you're right, that's a different story....

Tom

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I agree, TD, it's a crap shoot. The only two trumpets that I've bought off eBay without issues (some big issues) were the Recording (which plays like new) and a 38b Connstellation (that I sold). My Conn 8B Artist needs a valve job and Stella (Conn 10B) has red rot, the others have other issues.

If I added up the amount that I spent for used trumpets that needed work, I could have bought something new. :dontknow:

Turtle

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Hey Turtle,

Yes, it's a crap shoot! And many times the seller does not fully disclose the issues at hand, as was the example with this latest purchase.

TD

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Exactly! IF the seller of the Conn 8B had said: "The valves are crap, no compression, with intonation issues" :)roll:), I'd have thought twice before bidding. Same for the seller of the 10B (though he offered a return which I didn't take advantage of ... it's great horn). I don't even browse eBay anymore. I'm still looking for one more guitar, but never off eBay .... I wouldn't dream of buying a guitar without playing it first.

Turtle

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've bought numerous horns on eBay, and have always received pretty much what I expected. If the description and/or pictures are sketchy, I always contact the seller for more info. If they don't respond, I don't bid. Sometimes when they do respond, I don't bid either, after finding out more about the horn. If I buy the horn and don't like the way it plays, I sell it. I usually buy at a low enough price that I can get my money back out of one if I decide to sell it. Most of what I buy on eBay could be described as "project horns", but I have a great local shop to bail me out with repairs (no shipping), so that's a plus.

The last horn I bought with valve issues was pretty serious (worse than I surmised from the description). One valve piston had been slightly bent, and wouldn't even go into the cylinder. Additionally, the bottom cap was cross threaded on and the bottom of the valve cylinder was out of round - not a do-it-yourself project. I got the horn for a song, though, and Southeastern repaired everything wrong with the valve for about $50. I originally bought the instrument to butcher into a C cornet, but it was so nice after the valve was fixed, I sold it, and made a few bucks in the process.

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    The old adage. "Buyer beware" applies when buying a used horn from eBay or Craig's List. I take this into consideration, before purchases. I've never lost money on eBay, but I never made any either. Its breaking even; However, I've found some horns worth keeping at reasonable rates. The new trumpets are so expensive, especially the ones I would want. I'm staying vintage until, my playing improves enough to deserve a high quality new trumpet. Can you say, "Monette." We call it deferred gratification. It keeps us motivated to reach higher in our performance.

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I bought my 6340ST off ebay. It is great, silver was 100%, valves are great, slides are great. And, I saved a ton, my trumpet cost a little over $600 with free shipping!

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    When it's good off eBay, it can be awesome. My '56 Recording is worth all the agravation of all the others just by itself. It's like having one that's only a few years old, for about half of what it WOULD have cost new, if they were still available.

Turtle