Ebay Purchases

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I have sold dozens of trumpets on eBay. I've bought a couple on eBay. Seller is held to the description ( I know I am ). I play all that I sell and advertise that. Play it straight and you'll never get a return. Go the extra mile and get great feedback. We are a 100% positive feedback super seller because we don't sell junk. There are a few eBay sellers that I just laught at. They are always over priced and stiff the buyer somehow. If you offer a return policy then you get sales. Stay away from the no return policy sellers.
    If the ad states that it plays well....good tone..fast valves...etc.....you can hold them to that with a block on their PayPal account if it has sticking valves or a hole in the thing or something. Yes certainly ask questions thru their eBay site. They are held financially responsible to their answers as well. The best places to find deals on trumpets are yard sales...flea markets...and thrift stores where you can examine and play them on the spot.

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    hmmmmmm

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I'm not going through a dispute process with " no returns " on the contract.

4. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    I look at a lot of horns on eBay, but have only bought one (beat-up but playable alto horn). I'm mostly window-shopping, as I can not afford what I really want (Lawler), what I'd kinda like(MEHA pre-Kanstul for a 2nd horn), or what seems like a real steal (French Besson for under $300). I've bought/sold a fair amount of pro audio/lighting gear with almost all positive results, but that's a totally different ball game.

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I too have bought a lot of stuff, including electronic components, with mostly satisfactory results. But something about the personal nature of musical instruments that puts them in another league. Plus, by my own admission, there is probably no one more anal the me when it comes to the condition of a horn. Condition meaning playability plus cosmetics.

6. Tequilero901

Tequilero901 Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    Its always risk buying on ebay. I mostly buy clarinets which is completely different. I perfer to sell locally though for lots of reasons. Instrumets sold locally usually go for more money since it less of a risk to the buyer. I always make sure the wood is in good condition also I look for the plating on the keys unless its a higher value instrument I don't mind it as much since I can replate keys myself if they are silver but in that case I still have to buy low. Pads corks and everything else I can replace myself. Samething with trumpets If the slides are frozen in most cases I can free them myself. If the lacquer is rough I'll just strip it. I like raw horns. Small dings don't bother me niether easily removed unless they are in those hard to reach places. Now things I look for most. If it has red rot. If the braces need soldering which my local tech charges $30 per brace. Frozen valves when the valve section is a little bent and valve wont go up or down it cost me $150 to get 2 valves free recently. Valve repair are a high risk could be that they are a little dirty, dried up oil, worn springs ect.. The plating on the valves is extremely important If you ever played a trumpet with leaky valves you know waht I mean. Also to get a horn ultrasonic clean here is about $100. Point is always consider your cost before buying and buy low. I'm lucky because I have great friends who are techs and teach me how to do small repairs but if I didn't know how to do these things I would never buy a horn online. Always ask lots of question a good seller will never be bothered to answer them.

PS. Lots of people buy online because some of these horn can't be purchased new or are unable to buy a horn locally.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I only bought one thing on ebay... my Martin Committee... and it was a beauty, and a real fine for a fair price. If I can have the same kind of luck, I'm getting my next wife on ebay!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. Rusty_Restorer

Rusty_Restorer Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2012
    Atlanta
    All of my brass instruments are from e-bay. My impulsive ADHD got the best of me one night or so. Most are now at Rich Ita's being made into to playable condition. Some may only be wall art. The cheapest one I purchased was a player. It was very dirty when I got it.
    E-bay at best has been not been kind to me over the years. Of the Teac reel to reels I have gotten, none have worked. It took $300 to get the Teac A-3440 working. I do enjoy mucking and fixing things. I have gotten stolen computers that did not match the picture. I have found the hardest thing to do is not get in a bidding war in the last 5 minutes and to have a limit of something like 20-30% below retail as the limit.

9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    The real reason not to buy anything from ebay is because they are a monoply. They charge you for listing, final value fees and additional fees for getting paid...I'd rather sell my horn private party craigslist and take 10-20 percent less knowing it's not going to the Ebay cartel.

Ebay is buyers market more than a sellers market. Good deals can be had. I think it's much better to negotiate cash deals with craigslist than ebay.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Perhaps I have been lucky, with my 20 or so horns purchased on ebay from a rare Ferron Selmer $2200 (only 10 were made) to 2 Olds Ambassadors $100 all were as described. Only one gave me concern, a Selmer C 700 $700, was sent surface mail from Europe and took 3 months to arrive.

Regards, Stuart.