Ebay sale gone bad...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Jan 26, 2013.

You Make the Call - what would you do in my situation?

1. Nothing, accept that the seller screwed up and be happy that he refunded the money.

87.5%
  2. Accept that he screwed up but leave negative or neutral feedback on Ebay.

6.3%
  3. Goto Ebay resolution and TRY to get him to ship the item. He Screwed up, not me.

6.3%
  1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    Let me set up the situation and do a "YOU make the Call" scenario...

Yesterday I'm trolling Ebay (Like I always do!) a find a newly listed "Vintage Vincent Bach Corp (no dot) 3C Trumpet Mouthpiece in Gold Plate" as a .99 cent BUY IT NOW or BEST OFFER with $4.95 as shipping...

My first thought... WHAT THE?!?!? My second thought, if I don't BUY IT NOW, someone else will.

So I jumped on that like a shark on chum.

I paid immediately via Paypal... and somehow knew this was probably way to good to be true.

So today over 24 hours after the Buy It Now and the Payment, I get an email from PayPal canceling the Payment with the following message "I am issuing a full refund to you for the Bach mouthpiece. My apologies to you. There was an error in the listing that I was just made aware of today. My apologies to you. Thank you."

The Ebay auction was NEVER canceled... he never contacted me in any other form other then the PayPal Cancellation.

So as I understand it, that EBAY auction SHOULD be binding, just because you don't get the amount of money you want, you can't just back out of a sale (unless you specified a Reserve Price).

So here is the YOU MAKE the CALL....

Which of the following would YOU do and why?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I would do nothing. The guy obviously screwed up his description. Just chalk it up to experience and stop thinking you were robbed. Be happy you were not the focus of a scam.

tedh1951 likes this.
  3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We all know that if something looks too good to be true - it usually is. Give the bloke a second chance - he may get back to you and re-open negotiations anyhow. How would YOU like to be treated - if you had made an error? It hasn't cost you anything - so no skin off your nose to continue to be a gentleman.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I think the key to this situation is karma. Leaving negative feedback will only mean that he will leave you negative feedback. eBay Resolution services will reveal you as someone who was eager to take advantage of what you realized was a mistake ("...and somehow knew this was probably way to good to be true"). That might mean your claim might be rejected. Let's face it, if the "Buy It Now" was for more money you might stand a better chance in resolution. So, while he could have and probably should have handled it differently--well being the bigger man and letting it slide. Gook karma.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It was just a mistake, and if he refunded that quickly, just don't worry about it. I would even leave good comms in the rep, it is better than waiting a week, then find out. I had similar incidents before christmas with music books being out of stock. It happens. A quick refund, and a note through Paypal is enough.

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I bid on a drum kit for my son recently. It was a beautiful Mapex kit. It had a starting price of $600. No one else bid so I won and paid by paypal immediately. I got the money redeposited in my account and a message from the seller saying that I got the kit too cheap and if I wanted it, I could have it for $1500. I contacted ebay thinking that they would deregister the seller. They did nothing. Don't expect any support from ebay. They take the least line of resistance and try to keep as many people on board as possible.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    We have all heard stories of airlines screwing up offering round trip flights for $29.00.....

What does your gut and your "little man" say?

8. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    My "little man" usually says something like, "Aww, she's not THAT psycho!...let's go out with her!"

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    So, you have met my ex wife too? Hmmmmmm.

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Once I bought a textbook from some girl who then turned around to say that the instructor had changed her mind and was going to use that book after all in her class. That was after the transaction went through and all. I left neutral feedback, since the transaction never happened and she got really mad and left me neutral feedback in "retaliation". eBay feedback is a totally meaningless ranking. It only indicates how worried everyone is in the all system of not making any sort of wave. Some people take it very personally. eBay doesn't care unless they sense that they could be sued in something involving large amounts of money or someone getting hurt.