eBay sellers can block

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by screamingmorris, May 17, 2008.

1. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Last year I discovered that eBay gives sellers the ability to block specific people from being able to bid on their items.

In 2007 I bought a trumpet for $80 plus shipping.
    The ad said that I must pay $30 for expedited shipping, no other option allowed.
    When the trumpet arrived I saw that the seller had paid $15 for *regular* shipping by a *different* service.
    I emailed the seller and told him about the mix-up.
    I told him that I was thrilled with the trumpet and that I just wanted to bring the shipping problem to his attention so that he could avoid any similar confusion in his future eBay ads.
    I didn't ask for a partial refund of the shipping, I didn't bad-mouth him, I was very friendly and polite.

A few months later I decided to bid on an instrument.
    When I attempted to place the bid I immediately got an automated eBay response telling me that I was not allowed to bid on that item.
    After some investigation I discovered that it was the same seller I had bought the trumpet from months earlier.

I had no idea Ebay gave sellers a way to block specific buyers from bidding.

And I was shocked that that eBay seller had blocked me for such a petty reason.
    I emailed him about the block but he never responded to my email.

- Morris

2. fernandojh2000

fernandojh2000 New Friend

Jun 2, 2008
    In two occasion my computer got frozen just right there when the bid was about to end. Either theres someone with the knowledge to do so or it just happened to my computer. But...twice just in the same place? Same situation?

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Isn't it a seller's right to decide who he wants to sell to?

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Yes.

And in the example that I cited at the beginning of this thread, that eBay seller also exercised his right to be petty and vindictive for no justifiable reason at all.

But my point was that you can assume that you are going to bid on an instrument at the last minute and then be shocked when you get an on-screen announcement telling you that you are not allowed to bid on that item with no explanation at all as to why you are not allowed to bid on that item.

- Morris

5. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    That's how most of the ppl on ebay make money. They sock it to ya with shipping charges. You're better off not dealing with him anyway. I know I wouldn't trust him after that.

6. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    what horn did you get for $80, btw?

7. fernandojh2000

fernandojh2000 New Friend

Jun 2, 2008
    I've started to learned playing the trumpet because since I was a kid it was one of my first love but I didn't have the money and when I was a youngster I borrowed one...a couple of try without teacher and I quit. Now I am in my 50s and after 7 month, not practicing every day but practicing anyway, I have learned to love the trumpet and I have two bad ones and waiting for an Ambassador s/n 693949 I bought on ebay....I really hate to see how people take advantage of those that buy a trumpet to use it no to reseller after a shining "repairing" action and it is this last thing that is shocking me out.

They come to this sight read and ask questions and them buy the instrument to sell at a price maybe it does not worth...blocking the opportunity to an student of having just a trumpet that is easy to blow.

We should have a sight to sell music instrument to people that are going to use it, to play it. There should be a way to find out if you are a reseller. Or,..... "forbidding the buyer to reseller it" controlling the instrument through the serial number. I'm dreaming I know so... Obama did it to... I dream on playing the trumpet with a "tasty sound"

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  8. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    It sounds to me like that seller is a major (I'll say idiot to make it more appropriate).

9. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    The blocking feature can be useful to prevent timewasters and non payers from bidding on your stuff. Of course some people are a little eager to press the button, but then they are probably the kind of people you wouldn't want to deal with too much!

10. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree with Morris that overcharging on shipping and then not expediting the package is a bad business practice... I usually undercharge for shipping after you figure out all the costs (packing materials, gas, tape, boxes, etc). Sometimes I make a few dollars on shipping but I always try to send out the expedited way. I've blocked ebayers in the past with excess neg. feedback or based on their location due to US postal regs.

The Ebay waters have become much scarier to navigate in the past few years.
    -T