Ebay Translator

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by ATrumpetDude, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    Having bought and sold a lot of horns on ebay I have become well versed in the secret code language used by many sellers of vintage trumpets and cornets. I thought those of us ‘in the know’ might do a service to those that have just started buying online and translate some common phrases. Here are a few.

Plays great with Hetmans 3 = valves are shot

Valves have plenty of life left in them = valves are shot

Near mint = Lots of problems but is kind of shiny

Mint = Lots of problems but is really shiny

Would be a great combo horn = plays like crap

Great horn for a collector = plays like crap

2. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    I don't play but my neighbor does and he says it's great = good for a lamp

All the piston things go up and down = crapshoot

3. OldKing

OldKing Piano User

Aug 20, 2016
    NW of San Antonio
    I take it you've always gotten burned. I've bought a couple of horns on eBay. What's a little red rot? The Bach CR310 I love. I consider it my "battle horn" for the German band where elderly folks (who really like their beer) frantically jostle and waddle to get on and off stage in a hurry.

But please continue with the translations though. I need all the help I can get.

True Tone and Dennis78 like this.
  4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Hey man, gotta preserve those Depends. :-D

5. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    Lol, in case there is any misunderstanding this thread was meant to be kind of tongue-in-cheek humorous and not to be taken in a serious manner, yes there are plenty of deals to be had online.

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Needs some work and it will be fine! = It needs a heck a lot of work and go find something else.

True Tone likes this.
  7. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    I can't play it (bonus points for misspelling the instrument or brand on it.) = it either plays like crap or is basically been sitting unused for the past 50 years. (especially if its a Conn from when they discouraged using valve oil. Those are sure to still have valves in good shape now. =P )

(edit: on a more serious note, that can be a good deal when they can't play it and don't spell the listing right, or just straight up can't read the brand. Still assuming it's in good condition and the valves aren't shot.)

ATrumpetDude likes this.
  8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Seller refurbished = I took the lacquer off, oiled the valves, and put some new water key corks on it.

Selling for a friend = I know nothing about this horn, so don't ask me any questions.

Rare instrument = I have no idea if it's rare, but it's beat-up and looks old.

Estate sale find = buy at your own risk...I can't even tell the difference between a coronet and a trumphet.

Trumpet/cornet/baritone/tuba mouthpiece = Sgt. Schultz complex (I know nothing!).

Parts horn = it's complete and plays well, but I don't want to say so because some hack will return it, saying "I don't sound good on it".

faulken, Brassman64, tobylou8 and 5 others like this.
  9. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Mezzo Forte User

Nov 22, 2016
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    sounds great!: I don't know how to play the Coronet, but I was able to blow spit through it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    Seller === smoko, horn === overpriced