eBay Twilight Zone

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Bill, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Bill

Bill New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    Madison (Huntsville) AL
    I'm having the strangest experience on eBay in the 5 years I've been trading there. I'm selling something. There was an inital bid above my starting figure. The buyer has 0 feedback (made me a little nervous). I emailed him twice (just wanting to make sure he's legit and not some 12 year old having a little fun with daddy's account) with no response.

He then starts sending me emails requesting more info, so I figure he got my inital note. I' responded on a line by line fashion answering each and every question. Then yesterday he sends me a strange note telling me that because I haven't responded to him he's considering pulling his bid. I emailed him back forwarding every note that I've sent as a response to his note. Then he fires off at me this morning telling me I never answered a question that he never asked me in the first place! It's like he's totally ignoring my emails to him and then playing like I never sent them.

I am so confused!

I know he's getting my messages because none have bounced back. He's got an AOL address...I heard at one point that AOL has trouble with attachments from other domains, but don't know if that's true or not.

I've tried everything to pacify and help this guy but it's so strange... The auction ends in 3 hours anyway and I hope he just gets outbid.

Sorry, just venting.

2. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    I had a similar experience last month. The guy kept sending me emails from an AOL account and getting more and more upset that I wouldn't answer him.
    Finally, I got an email from him using a different address with the same questions. He made a comment that he'd been having trouble with his email.
    Try sending one with "Request Read Receipt" checked.

3. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    These guys may be using AOL to forward e-mail from or to a different address. AOL does not have a good track record for doing this. I sure wouldn't ship anything until I have payment in hand. There are some really strange sorts on e-bay these days playing all sorts of games. Good Luck!

Bill

4. Bill

Bill New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    Madison (Huntsville) AL
    Thanks guys. The auction ended an hour ago - he never did retract his bid so he's technically the winner. I called the phone number listed on his eBay profile, left a message and have not received a call back.

I'm sure the normal procedure will take place, i.e. notifications of the sale and payment requirements from eBay. I just don't think I've got a legit buyer here.

I'm definitely not going to spend the money yet!

5. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    In the past, ebay let you request an individual's full information, including address and phone number. The catch was that they also got an email telling them you were checking up on them and including your full information.

I used this once to contact by phone a seller that was having email problems so we could close out the transaction. All worked very well, and having this extra information "saved" the auction.

I don't know if they still provide this, but you could call them up and talk in person if you feel that is really the way to go.

As far as attachments in email, different ISPs have different limits, but I prefer to post my photos, soundclips, etc., on my school webserver and then just send a URL. Having a website with space like that is definitely a useful thing.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland