Ebay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kujo20, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    So I joined the ebay community recently. I posted my first sale item, and in less than 24 hours I've already had somebody send me a message asking to sell outside of the auction. Not only is that against ebay rules, but the person's offer was WAY under my starting bid....!?!? :dontknow:

Is is this something that happens often on ebay?

By the way: I politely told the person that I couldn't accept their offer.

Kujo

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    It happens, can't say how frequently but it has happened to me. It's always best to decline such offers--it may be legit, but it is my understanding that many of these offers are the first step in an attempt to defraud the seller. You would be justified in reporting the potential buyer to eBay.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    You were targeted because they hope being new you are also stupid. Hang in there. By the way, it is OK to take offers for any price you like, just not outside of ebay....

4. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Yeah, it's totally normal to get offers to buy. And it's totally normal that they are under priced too. That's just a part of ebay. Politely decline, no one will be offended. You can also end the auction early for entirely your own reasons, especially if your ad states that the item is advertised elsewhere and you reserve the right to end the auction early. Check other people's items and see how they do it, but mainly, it just takes a few times to get used to it.

5. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I have had mostly great experiences selling on ebay but I have had a couple of really bad ones too. Try to have a cautious sense of humour. The ebay rules are certainly to protect the buyer not the seller so stand firm behind what rules are in place that give you the small amount of protection the seller can get. And the not selling outside of ebay is one rule that does allow the seller some protection.

I had one buyer demand I had to take his lowball offer because I was way too high on my starting price and I would be stuck with listing fees and Paypal percentage charges etc. if I didn't immediately take his offer....the buyer was wrong

You can block these buyers from ever participating in your auctions.

6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    So if an ebay buyer contacted me with a fair offer before the end of the auction, I could take it without any problems? I'm still reading up a bunch of stuff on ebay like rules and whatnot...so any help from experienced ebay sellers would be appreciated!

Thanks for the replies so far!
    Kujo

7. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Yes, you can also end your auction anytime and sell to high bidder.

8. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I think you can if it is an auction only listing but not if the item already has a bidder. Of course if the item is a "buy it now" auction it can be sold at anytime. Then there is the "or best offer" option listing so it can get a little complicated but just let your common sense be your guide.

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Yeah, it happened to me a few times. Whenever I put a nice horn on, this guy from Toronto would contact me with lowball offers. Never accepted them, needless to say. However I did follow the progress of several horns I was watching where the sellers ended the auction early. Fast forward several months later and there they are in Canada with outrageous prices but damn good photography....

10. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    yes you can see all the dirt!