Ebay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kujo20, Nov 2, 2013.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    IMO It's awfully hard to get bitten on eBay if you follow the rules. You'll end up with a good reputation, too. Just do what's ethical. Personally, I consider offers outside of eBay cheating, and I treat the situation and the bidder accordingly. I respond with something like: "I prefer to complete this sale on eBay.". Chances are you'll never hear from the lowlife again.

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That guy has burned me before too.

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Tell you what else he did...A close friend sold him a 19th century American cornet on eBay, beautiful condition. He receives horn and immediately fault finds and suggests a "price adjustment". My friend's a really nice guy and doesn't know what to do so I handle it. I call the guy and tell him since he's not happy to return it for a full refund immediately..."oh, no. I want the horn, I'm just not happy with the description and would like you to make a small refund so I can have these issues addressed by my tech."
    I see what his game is. I basically state "F-you, and your games, return it immediately, then you'll get your money back."
    Never heard from him again.
    Funny thing is 2 years later when I sold him a horn he tried the same sh*t with me!

4. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I sold a high priced radio on the bay ,long story short, the guy started an item not as described case ,he said it was the worst radio he has ever used ? Itold him to return it ,that took almost a month ,of course he got a full refund ,but had to pay the post back to me ,I sold that same radio for the same amount to an honest guy just last week ,even though I was upset you just have to keep trying there are good buyers out there ,hope you don't get a jerk ,like i did.

Dean_0

5. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    EBay's full of hucksters, you just have to watch out and be aware of their tactics. It seems the more indirect and impersonal the online transactions have become, the more "ethically challenged" people are attracted to it.

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Exactly what he did with me... Lame

I have his id blocked now.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Weird. I've never sold a horn. Traded a couple. Destroyed some in botched attempts to convert them to D trumpets. Retired some. Pawned one. Bought two of my stable from music stores, two at a hefty discount from a manufacturer, one through an AFM newsletter one from a guy who walked into the Musician's Union with his Grandpa's cornet, and the rest from colleagues.

I'm tempted to sell my Schilke E3L (with a Bob Reeves valve alignment and a third Eb Big Bell) but if/when I do, I'll sell it via TM.

8. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Not a bad idea VB. I prefer to sell here on TM, no selling fees, and a lot of us "know" each other here...but ebay does have one thing going for it: more traffic.

Kujo