EC Downloading

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by ecarroll, Jul 29, 2005.

1. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Hello to you all,

Please allow me a few notes of introduction as we launch this new forum.

Music is my vocation; it is what I do.

I'm famously inept at most everything else. I can't fix things around the house, am afraid of ladders, use my fingers when adding, and am passionately interested in a cursed baseball team. I do, however, know how to listen carefully, how to observe keenly, and am reasonably skilled at placing what I hear, see, and know into some sort of context--precisely why I'm drawn to teaching during this "second half" of my career. I thank my friends at CalArts, McGill, and Dartmouth for recognizing this!

Context is key in the new world of the internet.

Just a short generation ago, my teachers (Renold Schilke, John Lindenau, Vincent Cichowicz, William Vacchiano, and Gerard Schwarz for those of you keeping chronological score) were the keepers of the secrets to trumpet and musical success. Now as I peruse various internet blogs I'm astonished to read high-schoolers confidently (and often accurately) quoting Arnold Jacobs. The "information" is out there, and can be read by anyone who understands the English language. As we turn each doorknob we realize that somebody on the other side is turning it too.

The trick is determining what to do with this new-found information, and how to make it our own in the context of a rich, musical life.

Download was the term I chose to express my altogether altruistic reasons in accepting a forum at TrumpetMaster (a title that gives me pause during the year of Dokshitzer's death, to say the least!). My intention in joining this community--and let me say, right off the bat, that the presence of Manny and Wilmer, both old friends, was a huge incentive--is to share the perspective of another who has lived and performed in many places in the world as an orchestral musician, chamber musician, and soloist while satisfying a hankering to off/up/download some personal insights, musical interests, and musical goals.

Lastly, as you will discover as this forum develops, I consider the trumpet to be a means to an end, not an end itself. . . and the person tugging on the other side of the door to be a friend.

Looking forward,
    EC

http://www.calarts.edu/~ecarroll/director.html

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Welcome Ed,

It is safe to talk about the Cubs :cool:

Wilmer

3. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Good to have you here Mr. Carroll, I look forward to hearing your insight and expert advice.

4. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Welcome Mr. Carroll!

Very glad to have you here.

I look forward to some great conversations.
    :-)

5. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    Ed
    Nice to see you have a forum. I always have enjoyed your recordings as a soloist and with the NY Tpt Ensemble. It will be great to pick your brain every once in a while.

Hoosierdaddy

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cubs? Nomar? Sorry, Ed...

This coming from a finally satisfied Red Sox fan!

I was sure that the Cubs would win before Boston... maybe it's the Cubs turn now!

Oh, back to trumpeting, eventually.

Good to see you're getting a space so we can all pick your brain. I miss our lessons!

Best,

Trent

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I am thrilled to be a part of this community

and look forward to all of the wisdom that you have to share Mr. Carroll.

Alex Yates
    :play:

8. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    MahlerBrass, it's Ed, please, and never Mr. Carroll. By the way, I can't agree more with your "Music isn't a career, it's a way of life" statement.

BPinard, thank you. By the way, the New York Trumpet Ensemble (Mark Gould, Dave Bilger, Jeff Curnow, Scott Thornburg, et moi) once opened for Dizzy Gillespie at the Williamsburg Festival. He couldn't play a note (embarrassing) warming up backstage and later settled in playing congas. Jon Faddis played incredibly in his stead and we thought that was that until Night in Tunisia , which closed the first half. Dizzy picked up his horn and those of us who heard him backstage cringed. He then ripped of a dozen choruses sounding like, well, Dizzy Gillespie. It was an incredible display of the power of music and what it can do to/for us (more on this topic later, I'm sure).

stcman, time will tell. Thank you.

HoosierDaddy, what's left of my brain is all yours (and Trent's, even though he imagines that it's somehow important to win a World Series at least once per decade. Trust me, it's not (or is) (or isn't)

(I'm conflicted, obviously)

Bedankt, Trompetvrouw. Ed, alstublieft?

22925H, it's all between the lines (and I loved Some Like It Hot )

This is going to be fun!
    EC

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Goedenavond Mnr. Carroll

Ah, ja! Bedankt Mnr. Carroll! Hoe gaat het met je? Alles goed op CALARTS? Hoe lang vanuit Rotterdam voor u? Ik een beetje Netherlands spreken, maar mijn tallgebruik niet zo goed zijn. LOL. :roll:

Ook, je aantwoord in het Engels doen. Deze taal een plezier spreekt maar niemand begrijpen onze! :shock:

Hartelijk groeten en
    WELKOM! Doei! Alex Yates

10. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    Re: Goedenavond Mnr. Carroll

Is this the same Alex Yates that has the virtual trumpet studio page?