Eclipse C - LB LY?? What a horn....

Discussion in 'Horns' started by davidquinlan, Apr 2, 2005.

1. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

I hope I got the description right Leigh!!!

Just back from a visit to the new spacious Eclipse factory. Had great fun in the new "test" area, testing the repair job on an old Soverign cornet that Leigh had done and a reasonable time (must have been 20 minutes at least!) on the new (I think?) large bore Eclipse C trumpet with MY Bell..

wow.. what a horn!!!

I brought along some charts to play this time, so I played thru the opening section of Bozza Rustiques on this horn and it sounded absolutely marvellous!!! (to me, and I'm biased!!)

As I said to Leigh, I've only ever played Eclipse C trumpets, so I can't really compare to other models (so I do feel spoilt!), but this beastie is the best yet. You forget about all horn related idiosyncrasies and just play the music.

It took an amazing amount of self control only to write a cheque to pay for the repair job, and not order a C, Bb and a copper bell flugel and place an order for a Cornet!! (don't think Mrs Q reads this forum!!) :D

Next time.. maybe...

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I wish I were as close to the factory as you are. The chance to go in and play Eclipse horns, not to mention having the chance to watch a master horn maker in action. I admire someone who is respected as much as he is but chooses not to develop a swollen head. Sounds to me like he is not only a master horn maker, but he is one nice guy as well.

3. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    i wish i even had the money for an eclipse.....

4. davidquinlan

I would have had the chance to play 2 more horns straight off the finishing bench if I didn't have to make it back home for a physio appointment.

I 'used to' suffer from what my physio calls trumpet players shoulder (he has treated two other brass playing mates of mine too), rotation of the left shoulder from holding a horn for 20 years or so :), fixed now thanks to his expertise .. painfull process though!!

5. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi David

Almost correct!

The one you liked out of the 2 models was the Large Bore LY bell C trumpet.
    The other was the one you mention.

Thanks for giving it a going over for me.

Best Wishes

Leigh

6. davidquinlan

ah ok.. wicked horns all of them!! :-)

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    The new Cs are better? :-o

Got to get my hands on of those!

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Oh God - not ANOTHER reason to go up to Eclipse :-(
    Just what I need :roll:

Leigh - I am trying to SAVE money at the moment, please stop building lovely instruments!!

Seriously, I will be up some time this week, I feel the need for an Eclipse fix. How's the cornet coming along?

9. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    uggh i wish i could go...:( sad to say i live just a lil too far away

altho accordian to Clarino, im just a bus ride away.....<there are no buses from the states, i checked>

10. davidquinlan

Don't think I would say they are better... it's just if I was buying one.. looking at the two I tested, I would have pointed at the LB LY and said....

I want that one!

:roll: