Eclipse C Trumpet initial thoughts

Discussion in 'Horns' started by TrentAustin, Apr 12, 2004.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey gang!

I know you're all wondering when I'd have the C in my hands...

Well I received the horn on Friday (along with my LR which I had Leigh Goldplate... wow!) and haven't been able to put it down.

I'm planning on writing a full review tonight... if I can put the horn down.

How great is this horn?

Let's just say I didn't play any pic yesterday on my EXTREMELY long (4 services...don't ask) day. I own a Schilke p5-4 and love it. That is definitely saying something.

The Eclipse efficiency I have in my Bb is definitely here (and perhaps even better) in the C.

The sound is amazing. It's exactly what I had in mind. A bright tone with a big CORE. It's warm and can be as brilliant as you want it. The partials that always give me problems on my Yamaha C (4th line D to g on top of the staff) are dead on perfect.

I will write more tonight. I've gotta go PRACTICE!

THANK YOU LEIGH for making a C that is every bit as inspiring to play as your Bbs.

This will be the hit of this year's ITG.

Best,

Trent

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hi Trent, I can't resist sharing my thoughts on this thing, which I tried today.

I'd never really played a C before, so when Leigh said I could have a go on the Eclipse Cs that were out on the table at his factory I tentatively picked one up.

After playing it for a bit (I was trying the prototype C, as well as some others) I didn't want to put it down. This really is a gorgeous instrument - I agree entirely with Trent's description of the sound: big and bright. It can be full and sparkling, or sweet and soft: it responds incredibly well. It is very very easy to play, and it sounds great!

I would gladly throw my strad away and never play it again if I could take this thing (unfinished, with "proto C" written in black pen on the bell) home with me ... and I really like my strad.

This is probably the nicest trumpet I've ever played, seriously. I want one!

Jack.

3. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    ok guys, pics of the C are up on the eclipse website, on the downlods page. Writeup will follow as soon as it becomes available to me....It appears that a whole buncha people have awesome things to say about it, so it may be a while to consolidate and blah blah blah, you get the picture.
    gotta run -
    GW
    [​IMG]

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I have a sneaking suspicion that when I try the Eclipse I'm going to be hooked and get into a whole matching set. I can see it now. All my Eclipses lined up on the table.... MR Bb & C, copper bell flugel, and isn't there a cornet in the works? It's going to be tough explaining to my family that I need to spend $20 000 on new horns. :-)

5. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi Gary

Nice to hear from you!

Id just like to say thanks for the site updates, i am sure it must be very hard to find time in the middle of the desert. (but you do somehow)

Say Hi to all the Bamberg Crew for me and wish them all the best, and a safe return home.

I'm already looking forward to the party! just let me know when to book my flight ok...

Regards

Leigh

6. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I just thought of something. Is the C ML or L bore? I know a L bore Bb is in the works but what did the C turn out to be? You don't see too many ML C's. But I suppose it didn't hurt Trent or Jack's opinion of them. :-)

So if it is ML can we expect a L bore companion in the future.

7. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The Eclipse C is a .460 bore, however, bore-size has so little to do with how free-blowing a trumpet is. The leadpipe venturi, and its taper, coupled with the bell taper, and bell throat, has much more to do with that than does the bore. I think that you will find that the Eclipse trumpets, in general, have a more free-blowing feel than most, because of the uninterrupted leadpipe.

Best always,
    Bruce

8. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi Bruce

You are 100% correct! the bore has far less importance than most trumpet players think.

As makers we can put a leadpipe on that would make a 470 bore horn feel like the most resistant horn youve ever played. Plus we could place chokes , or gaps a certain points to cause further resistance.

Likewise i could easily make a Medium bore trumpet so open that you would be exhausted after only a few minutes from the amount of air required.

The 470 Bore Horn we have in development right now has had several leadpipes made for it whilst we find out what works best for this particular horn. One of the tighter pipes we fitted caused the horn to be far more resistant than my 460,s that have a more open pipe.

One other thing to mention that is very important is the fact that Eclipse horns are not set up in the same way as other horns!! Due to the fact that we choose to tune at the back of the horn and not the front bend, we have managed to have a continuous uninterupted air column all the way from the mouthpiece reciever all the way into the 3rd valve.
    This does make the horn more open as the steps that are normally encountered are not there to cause resistance.

However resistance of some degree is required to give you something to push against, but we prefer to cause ours after the valve section.

The bottom line is! do not be blinded by bore sizes! they do have a role to play, but nowhere near as much as you would be led to believe.

If a good maker can balance off the right leadpipe to the right bore horn, he could really get a M/ML and L bore all blowing very similar (resistance-wise)

If you come to the ITG you will see that our new C trumpet has wonderful presence and great power with a 460 ML valve section.
    We of course know what else is out there in the C trumpet market and have made a horn with those in mind that WE believe is truly world class in all aspects.
    In fact the feedback is that less energy is required to get the same or more from Our C than other C ,s the testers have played (but everyones different!)
    Like i say, its how you build the other parts around that section that makes the biggest difference.

Regards

Leigh

9. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I was finally able to go visit Trent Austin, to play his Eclipse C trumpet. Trent's has a red brass bell, with heavy bottom caps.

The Eclipse C responds very well, and has the best intonation of any C trumpet that I've played. As those of you who play C trumpet as your primary instrument know, they are quite unique with regard to intonation. Notes that are typically problematic on the C trumpet are no problem on the Eclipse! It's very nice to not have to manipulate notes, or resort to "false fingerings", in order to play in tune.

I'm really looking forward to trying the yellow brass bell C trumpet. As much as I like the sound of the red brass bell, I am very much a tradtionalist when it comes my preference in trumpets. Leigh McKinney reminded me of that factor when we spoke. Thanks, Leigh! :wink: I am good with that! :D

Now that I've finally "tested the waters" with the Eclipse C trumpet, I'm told that the Eclipse Flugel is not far behind. Can't wait! :D

Best always,
    Bruce

10. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Man, this horn breaks my heart. I can't buy it, as I have a financial advisor now (my lovely wife). The funny thing is, I can't even play a C trumpet - I have perfect pitch relative to Bb instruments......but I will have one someday. You watch...... [​IMG]