Eclipse Equinox

Discussion in 'Horns' started by brassmouth, Sep 3, 2005.

1. brassmouth

brassmouth New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    New Jersey
    I saw this on the Eclipse website and thought this was a very creative and intelligent idea. But I have a question, how does this compare with the other horns that Eclipse makes? Is it simply the fact that the valves are closer to the musician or are there other unique properties that an Equinox offers (like a unique sound, quicker responce, more in-tune, ect.)?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Get in touch with Bruce Lee at Northernbrass.com . I believe he's played just about all of the Eclipse models and can advise.

3. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    I've only played one for a few minutes, but from what I remember, the tuning and response didn't feel significantly different from the standard version. The one I played had a red bell, so it had quite a warm sound. Also felt a bit more 'intimate' to play, because everything''s that bit closer to you. I was only playing it for a bit of fun though and it was six months ago, so I'm afraid that's all I can reliably tell you. The Eclipse website has a good description of it on the 'products' page.

Rich.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Rich is right on with his description in my opinion. It's definitely not a dramatically different sounding intstrument but does project and feel different than the normal trumpets. The blow is great and I personally love the fact that the bell is closer to your ear and you can hear your ideas much quicker.

Bruce Lee of www.northernbrass.com would definitely be the guy to talk to since he plays an extremely beautiful and amazing playing Goldplated Equinox. He's been playing that horn exclusively for a few years now.

Feel free to ask me any direct questions about the horn as I have also played the Equinox and one of my students owns one.

Best,

Trent

5. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I played a few Eclipses at Bruce's a couple years ago. His stock was pretty low since it was right after ITG and I think they sold a bunch of horns. I remember liking the Equinox the best. I was hoping to try the LR and MR but Bruce didn't have them. :cry:

6. brassmouth

brassmouth New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks everyone. Speaking of the ITG conference, does Eclipse usually bring a lot of thier horns for people to try out? I'm going to the one at Rowan this year and would love to test a few out.

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm sure the Eclipse guys will have a TON of horns at the ITG... I sure hope I can come down again and help out at the booth (if not get a clinic while I'm there).

Best,

Trent

8. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Bruce and a lady named "Meg", who posts on TH under the name "Buzz" helped design the Equinox. I think Meg has the first one ever made. Several of the design features came from her contest entry in the first Eclipse contest Leigh ran. At least this is my understanding from conversations with Bruce Lee.

The trumpet is supposed to have outstanding projection and tone in the middle and lower registers and can scream on top. But a couple of the Bamburg trumpet players told me they didn't prefer it for an all around horn. They considered it more a jazz trumpet.

9. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Jesse,

I know I stated that about the Equinox but after I played it a bit longer I changed my mind. Not really sure if it was the set up I was using or what but I used a little deeper cup with a wider rim and I actually loved the dark concert band sound that it got after a few minutes of adjustment. I can't believe you remembered what we had said about that specific horn. :D

10. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Wow! I'm saving for an Eclipse and this is starting to hurt more and more.

The Bb, C, Flügelhorn, and Equinox all go for UK £2000. If my math is correct, that would be $4159.70 (1 GBP = 1.80856 USD ).

I’m just about ready to give up. I wonder how much they would give me for my 30XXX serial number Strad in trade??? I’ve had that horn since 7th grade and would hate to give it up, but life is short and I sure would love to own an Eclipse before I die.

We gave to the hurricane relief fund and then I had to buy a new laptop to use at school. You can guess where that money came from? Let's just say that the Eclipse fund is almost where it started.