Eclipse Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Aug 10, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey all

I was wondering, a lot of you seem to own an Eclipse Trumpet. I looked at the website (briefly) and they look pretty funky. Can those of you who have one please share with the rest of the class on what they are like? What makes them so great?

Also are there any dealers of Eclipse Trumpets in Canada that the website might not mention?

Cheers
    Eric

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am located in Boston, probably the closest to you. I do go up to Maine fairly often (next big thing in Maine in Brandenburg #2 in late September). Let me know if you'd like to meet up!

Best,

Trent

PS: the trumpets are amazing in every way. But I'm highly biased of course. They ended my need to buy the "next best horn for me".

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Eric,

From a "amateur" point of view!

I don't own one; but I played one. Alex has a Eclipse "C" and I just have to tell you that the horn is bullet proof. She let me play it when she returned from ITG and we had a lesson. The constuction of that horn is just something to behold. As far a playing; very open and excellant slotting. I have truly never played a better horn. And My God did Alex really sound great on it. They truly are great horns based on my very limited expirence.

They are a bit out of my price range right now; but in the future I'll most certainly look to Eclipse for my last horns!

My .02

4. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I've tried a few Eclipse Bb's from Bruce Lee/Northern Brass (http://www.northernbrass.com). He came to ATL a few years ago with a small arsenal for people to try! I can't remember all of the different models, to be honest, but they were all very well made and they all played great...but I will say that I still liked my horn after it was all said and done (Bach LB with 25 bell)...just goes to show that everyone is different!

EDIT: I just read Trent's post above...now that he's a dealer, you should definitely talk to him about bringing some horns to Maine when he's there. Trent is a terrific player, so go hear him as well!

Paul Poovey

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Eric,

I don't know exactly what makes them so good...the fit and finsh is amazing. Maybe it's having the tuning slide in the bell bow...

The balance of the horns is perfect, they just lay and feel right when you hold them.

The valves are super fast and smooth.

The sound in my case is just what I wanted.

Last night at the gig, the lead bone player came up to me before we started. He said: "Chuck, I wanted to mention that your new horn sounds great, not that you don't sound great all the time, but your new horn really sounds great!"

That was from a trombone player. (I didn't know they listened) lol

I have owned some pretty good horns in the last few years,
    Courtois 708 Sonic
    Schilke B1
    Schilke B6
    Lawler C7

This horn Eclipses all of them in my opinion, and it's not even close.

That is not a easy statement. Any one who knows me on the forum knows how good I felt about my Lawler C7. I sold it last week!

Find an Eclipse and give it a try. Then YOU tell US!

-cw-

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Are there different kinds of horns for different styles? I mean I am more commercial but I would prefer something that I can play for any occasion that comes up.

Eric

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    The only true way to find out what an Eclipse is like is to try them. There are a great number of excellent trumpets out there and the Eclipse range are right up there with the best of them (and beating the vast majority).

I own an Eclipse flugel (copper bell, gold plated) and it is simply the finest flugel I have ever played. Since I first had to play flugel I have always felt (and sounded) like a trumpet player holding a flugel. When I first went up to Eclipse there were a bunch of flugels there and I simply fell in love with them. They were, quite simply, in a different league. It was just a matter of finance before I knew I would own one.

If I were playing cornet on a regular basis (I don't do any brass banding at present) I would own an Eclipse cornet - there are very few cornets that can even be mentioned in the same breath as the ones Leigh and Co. have created. The intonation is impeccable and the tone is exactly what I look for when playing cornet.

As for the trumpets - my current dilemma is that I can't decide what to buy. I have played just about everything that comes from the factory (the joy of being in the UK - travel to Luton is soooo easy hahaha) and used to know exactly what I was after (MR) then they introducd the Solar bell and I love those as well. I know it will just be a matter of time before I own an Eclipse Bb trumpet (quite possibly a C, eventually - and a piccolo, when they FINALLY finish designing it), but exactly which is still being debated. They are all fantastic instruments, it is now just a question of working out which one works for me, doing what I do.

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    If you auditioned to play in the military you are no longer "more commercial". You are now whatever they want you to be, whenever they want you to be that! You better be ready to play pretty much anything from a dance job to taps.

Remember that only the very top military musicians have a gig where they play primarily one type of music. If you are a post musician you are a guy who needs to be a 100% well-rounded musician.

9. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA

I am certainly up to the challenge! (I've been doing it part time for a few years now anyway)

Eric