Eclipse Vortex

Discussion in 'Horns' started by kdawg, Jan 11, 2004.

1. kdawg

kdawg New Friend

Nov 19, 2003
    I've been checking the eclipse website periodically, checking to see if there's a description of the vortex up yet. Well there isn't. What's the story behind it?

2. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    I know that it's a large heavy red bell, gold plate. This horn is a serious jazz solo horn, double rings and saddles add extra weight.
    Website will be updated as soon as possible, still waiting on a few things. Thanx for hangin' in there..... :wink:

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, kdawg!

As Gary pointed out, the Eclipse Vortex uses a Heavy Large Red bell. It is a custom, "one off" trumpet, which differs from the standard Eclipse line. The bell provides for a slightly more diffused sound, with great stability, and focus.

The bracing, although it appears to be heavy, has 5 contact points between the receiver end of the leadpipe and the bell, and 7 contact points at the bell end of the trumpet. The amount of contact area is actually reduced from that of the standard Eclipse bracing, thus enhancing the response of the heavier bell.

The finger rings/saddle are a bit large, which would be very comfortable for a person with larger hands. The "corkscrew"/heavy bottom cap on the third valve helps to add stability and focus to the horn.

The Vortex, in shiny goldplate, is a stunning looking trumpet which looks even better in person. It plays very well, and it is "available"!

Please feel free to contact me off-board if I can answer any other questions which you may have. Thanks!

Best always,
    Bruce

4. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Bruce,

Do you know the weight of this horn?

Thanks,

Liad

5. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hi Liad,

I have an old postal scale which I weighed the Vortex on. It weighed in at 2.75 lbs., or 1.25 kg. Perhaps Leigh can verify whether this is in the correct range.

While it weighs more than a standard Eclipse, the Vortex does not feel that heavy... certainly not in comparison with a Monette 993, or a Taylor Chicago.

I hope that this is useful to you, Liad!

Best always,
    Bruce

6. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Actually, this is very good news for I was thinking it would be up in the 4.5lb area. When someone says heavy, this is what I think.

Thanks for the info.

BTW, did you weigh it before or after you emptied the spit valve? :D

All the best,

Liad Bar-EL