Ed Thompson plays with himself - on two trumpets, that is

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by NickD, Jan 19, 2006.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

OK, this is fake, but it's a hoot! I've heard Vic Hyde play up to three trumpets at a time, but never with a tone as clean as this guy. I was almost buying it until he did the nose thing. It is hilarious!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1156414669221185353&q=trumpet&pr=goog-sl

I'm pretty sure the sound track is actually Herb Alpert, which is a trubute to how good Herb really was. That old Zorba theme was beautifully played by Herb, IMHO. His tone on the low opening was like melted butter. His tecnhique on the double tonguing was perfect.

Have fun!

Nick

2. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I wonder what the embouchure complications are while playing with one's ears are....

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

Hmmm...

Ears? I was actuay wondering about yet another way he could get some warm air through the horn, but let's not go there...

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    When I first saw this a while back I said this has possibilities, and I'll be honest and say he had me for about the first 30-40 seconds. I bet you could do this, probably with rather poor tone, if the harmonies were either in the same partial series of the horn, or, could you maybe use two horns of different keys and actually pull this off?

Too much on my plate right now to even try this, but I bet there are some people who are actually out there trying to play two horns at once and be serious.

My students at school have always been amazed at the fact that I can play one note on my horn and sing a note very low in my throat and get an implied harmony of 3 notes. A very cool trick.

To try this the easiest way, play a low C and sing G, A, G, F# G and the chirds change for you and if you do it pretty well in tune the third note is as loud as the two you are actually playing.

I've been doing this for 30 years after a student said that she likes the piano because she could play harmony and you can't do that with just one trumpet player. I was teasing her and said I could prove her wrong. After a while it isn't really that hard to do.

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Thanks NICK... I really needed that this morning... I had a good laugh.

6. rbtrumpet08

rbtrumpet08 Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2004
    ive played on two trumpets at once and even hit two different partials and got harmony, but the tone was not too great at the tuning takes quite a bit of practice

7. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005
  8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That's impressive!

-cw-

9. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006