Educate me

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Manny Laureano, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey,

I've seen many posts with refernces to the Schilke horn numbering system. I used to play Bach so, I'm familiar with a lot of their models. What the deifferences between the various Schilke Bb's, specicifically the B1's, B2's... is it a weight thing? Bore size thing? and how long has this nomenclature for these horns been around?

In other words, what do the numbers infer? The Bach horn numbering system has always seemed a bit arbitrary, to me, unless it's like the mouthpieces where lower is more symphonic and higher seems to be lead horn stuff.

Patrick? Chuck?

ML

2. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    bell sizes, bell content, & bores.

dj

3. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's a great site! I love the Schilke Loyalist site! :D

It doesn't seem to me that there is really a rhyme or reason for the numbering system. I've just learned this or that about them, mainly from the Schilke Loyalist site, but also from the Schilke Musical Products site, from reading about the various models. I think that Renold originally started with his favorite, the B1 (B stands for 'Bb'?) and then came up with other models and designs to fit various purposes and "needs". He was a smart guy and I think that he realized that different players were going to want different things, hence the prototyping and designing of the various horns.

I was going to suggest that the numbering was the order in which they were prototyped and released, and that sort of works except for the B4, which was released after the B1, B2, B5, B6 and B7.

At this point, I own a B6 - if I ever become richer than Midas, I'll own one of each of the B models! (Of course, these will be hung in my display room/studio on the wall adjacent to my Monettes. :lol:)

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Manny, something I thought I would add is that other than differences in bore size and bell size, all of the stock B models are more or less the same and the differences in the bell size has to do with the taper and flare, not the final diameter at the bell wire. Schilke bells are all 5" at the bell wire.

To my knowledge, the main differences between the X models and the B models are mainly in the bore - B models are all step bore designs, and X models I believe are all straight bore designs. It also sticks in my mind that the stock X models have the #1 Large bell too.

As for the S models, I'm not sure. I could be mistaken, but I think that the S models are built on B model "chasis" only the tuning slide is more square, it has additional bracing on the tuning slide, and there is the cosmetic difference of a ring on the first valve slide instead of a saddle.

6. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    The X models came after all one digit B's were taken. X1 is the " B10" or something like that.

The S models were the Schilke answer to the Strad., heavier with braces in the main valve etc.

With some exceptions I think that the B nomenclature is according to born date.

The Schilke loyalist has a details of each model regarding bore, bell etc.

Gus

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There are no B8s or B9s, nor is there a B3. At least not to my knowledge. Also, I don't think there is an X1 or X2. Just the X3 and X4.

8. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    The X1, and X2 existed

Here is a quote of the Schilke Loyalist

"In case you were wondering, there was an X1 and an X2. They were prototypes and only one of each was made".

I think is the same with the B8 and B9. I couldnt find it yet.

The B3 exists.

Gus

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are they available to the general public? Are the X1 and X2 even physically in existence anymore?

Maybe they are around somewhere, but in my mind, the models are as follows:

B1
    B2
    B3 (Sorry, missed that one earlier - I do make mistakes, just ask anyone who has played with me.)
    B4
    B5
    B6
    B7

X3
    X4
    The X5 and X6 were only offered for a SHORT time and although you could probably have one made, they aren't part of the normal lineup of Bbs.

S22
    S32
    S42
    S42 Faddis model

Anything else is custom.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I've heard that the B3 is what Herseth played.