Edwards Trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Jan 30, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I've heard of em before, even heard one being played, and my ex private lesson teacher played an Edwards trombone. I really don't know that much, other than they are super expensive and what I've seen on their website. Just kinda curious if anyone knows anything about em

2. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I took lessons from Leonard Candelaria for a few months and he played one of them in my lessons quite frequently...the Gen X or X model...whichever one looks like a Monette. The horn was pretty heavy and 24 K brushed cold finish. It had a removable leadpipe, and I believe an adjustable bell. I never got to play it but it seemed, and sounded, like a great horn when he played it. If Dr. C wasn't playing that, he was playing a raw brass Bach. I never did ask which he prefered better though.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The Edwards Gen X trumpets are now to be found on the Getzen website as their "Genesis" model. Just part of the "on again, off again" saga of the Getzen family I guess.

4. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I was actually more interested in the Gen. II model, but thanks for the info.
    Michael

5. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi bigaggietrumpet,

Mitch Goldman (2Lip) play-tested one last year when he was on his search for a new horn. He loved the sound...I think the price was the only thing which held him back. You could send him a PM if you wanted more information. He will reply...he's a great guy.

All the best.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    you know that Monette and Lawler use their valves?
    i think they are excellent horns but Getzen didn't push them hard enough for them to catch on.
    last i heard the Edwards name was to become the Getzen "pro" line.
    that removable lead pipe is a real good idea.
    with that and a removable bell you can make the horn into anything you want it to be.
    you can have a different horn for different gigs.
    i think Getzen is totally underrated.
    the GenX is the Monette for less than half the price.
    Rick Braun plays one on his latest CD.

7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yeah, unfortunately, I don't exactly have 3 grand just kinda layin' around. I was just curious as I ran into their website some time ago, and then went back the other day. It sounds like the would be awesome trumpets.
    Michael

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i think that they are a very good horn that is underrated.
    what that means to me is that the price will stay down.
    they may even be discontinued in a few years.
    if you hang in there, i bet you'll see one somewhere for a good price.
    if you ever get the chance, play one. 8)

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As a lot of you know I used to be a clinician for Edwards. Fine horns that played well. In fact I was all set on keeping my Edwards until Bruce introduced me to Eclipse horns. There's something about an interchangeable design that hampers projection, intonation, and response in my opinion. All these three things improved when I moved over to my Eclipse. The Edwards horns did have amazing valves that NEVER gave me problems.

Feel free to email me offlist with any questions that you might have,

Trent
    www.trentaustin.com

10. TheGlue

TheGlue New Friend

Nov 12, 2003