Effect on sound of Sterling silver?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brian H. Smout, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi All,

With the sterling King Silversonics oe Super 20's with ss leadpipes and Bach sterling bells how would you characterize the effect of the metal in the instrument compared to yellow or gold brass. Warmer, denser core, brighter?

Curious,

Brian

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The sterling silver seems to take louder dynamics better without "breaking up" so it won't get that "overblown" sound when really cranking.

3. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Depends on the instrument and design....for example, I have an old Selmer horn with a Sterling Bell from the mid 50's that my Dean of music picked up from the factory while on vacation in France.

This individual horn has a very small bore...and an extremely tightly tapered leadpipe. This horn plays with a very bright but rather thin sound that doesn't project well...but sounds really quite musical and regal---BUT DOESN'T LIKE BEING PUSHED. The rather small dia. bell doesn't project well...and the voicing has a rather harsh brittle edge to the sound when overblown. That Sterling bell on this horn is unusually thin guage and even the slightest pressure will leave a ripple mark. Also over the years...has picked up sooooooo many little dings and nurdies'.
    That is the downside but this same old Selmer plays so sweetly and ever so friendly....and you can play this horn to a whisper with such beautiful resonance and sweetness in clarity.
    The design of this horn (without that weird little tapered lead pipe and Sterling bell) soon found its way into the States as the DeVille student horn. Actually one of the first line of instruments to finally be mass imported into the states.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not sure that a Selmer, King or a Bach have the tolerances that would make a comparison fair. I think the minute differences in taper and thickness of the material CAN make as much difference as the material itself. Leigh at Eclipse could probably tell us more!
    I have played several Bachs with sterling leadpipes and I also got the impression that you could play louder. They were not the same taper as the original however.........

5. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    FWIW, Schilke describes its SS bells as really increasing the overtones and the efficiency in sound production, as opposed to their brass bells.