Effective or waste?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, May 23, 2012.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    [TABLE="class: forumline, width: 100%"][TR][TD="class: row1, width: 100%, bgcolor: #FFFCF2"][TABLE="width: 100%"][TR][TD="colspan: 2"]Of all of my horns, the Lightweight 400 is the most challenging to play. You really need to be paying attention to hit the notes right on and be precise in your articulations.

On the other hand, the Custom Built is the easiest to play. It almost plays itself.

I usually play the Lightweight 400 because I think that it forces me to be a better, more precise player, and let's face it, the other horns weigh a lot more!

Is this philosophy sound or delusional? Other people have noticed that my playing has improved, but that might have happened anyways using easier-to-play horns.

I almost have this ravenous beast tamed. The Curry 3M helps a lot!

Tom[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It is logical and not delusional. Always, conquering a challenge to play horn will result in a greater concentration to the details of your performance; therefore. you play with more focus and effort. It should actually lead to playing easier trumpets as easier as well. You work is paying off!

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    That Custom is one gorgeous horn, if it was mine and so easy to play I would play it all the time, At my age (74) I look to make life easier, I havent found a horn that plays itself yet, the closest is the electronic bugle that plays Taps, perhaps I could reprogram one to play Mahler 5.

Go with your own choice, play the lightweight exclusivly and its idiosyncocies will gradually be overcome without thinking.

Regards, Stuart.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think -- you will play the best on the trumpet you love ---- and using other trumpets, always presents a DIFFERENT challenge ---- I think patkins hit it dead on with the concentration factor ----BUT, If YOU THINK it helps you to play a More difficult trumpet -- THEN IT HELPS YOU DOESN'T IT????

5. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    If this struggle, real or delusional, is what brings the horn to your lips, then rock it, either way!

6. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    I'm back to taking lessons now, and I'm using my most challenging horn while I'm studying. I'm doing it because this particular horn is very efficient and I'm working on...efficiency. I have other horns that are more forgiving; though since I'm going for it, I may as well be all in.

7. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Practice with what you perform on if you ask me.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Maybe you should trade me the lightweight for my Vocabell :) I've been trying to pawn this darn thing off in at least three posts today :) So far no luck.

9. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I hear there's a "Pintomittee" in production... Might be worth a trade!

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I always do. I practice whatever horn I want to play for performance. Four per year, and I usually play at least one on a different horn.

Tom