Efficiency

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aspiring Trumpeter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Aspiring Trumpeter

Aspiring Trumpeter New Friend

Oct 2, 2005
    Iowa
    Manny,

I read a lot about playing efficiently on this forum and I think I understand what it means to play efficiently, but for the life of me can't figure out how to accomplish it. I've been told by Dave Cooper that I seem to be taking in enough air but am not using it very efficiently. I haven't been able to see him again so I can't figure out how to get it done. I just seem to have problems getting to the end of musical phrases.
    Any help on what I need to do physically to get this done, or however you do it would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Playing efficiently means getting the maximum amount of everything you need with a minimal amount of efort. It doesn't mean collapsing physically or playing lethargically. It means that you have energy and focus but with far less wear and tear than the average player.

A corrupted embouchure cuts down your efficiency because you have to fight it. Shallow breathing cuts down efficiency because you have to muscle notes to get them out. Paying a mouthpiece that's the wrong size cuts down efficiency because you have to fight it to get the sound you wnat.

Everything you do on the horn has to be a complement to what's in your head. If there's nothing in your head, nothing of interest comes out of the bell.

ML

3. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    "If there's nothing in your head, nothing of interest comes out of the bell."

An instant classic! The only "swing" thought a musician should ever need. (Substitute the appropriate noun for "bell", and you have universal truth, e.g., "soundboard", "throat", "stick", "F-hole", ...)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you need help with the "mechanics" of playing, generally only a good or great teacher can help.
    Practice softly (let's define this as a volume where clarinet players or violinists would not complain.........) and try to get as pure of a tone as possible.
    I find that when my students practice (mostly)loud, their efficiency goes down. This has several reasons: less control over the embouchure, improper use of air, too much forcing(lip damage). Our perception of our own sound gets distorted because most of us practice in small rooms that "overload" when it gets loud. Getting the mix right is the job of a teacher. You can build strength without blowing walls down.

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    And where would THAT be?

Michael McLaughlin

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York