Effortless Mastery !!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Kraken, Feb 23, 2011.

1. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Kenny Werner's - Effortless Mastery

Anybody read this book and CD ?

I picked it up at Borders since they are having a bankruptcy sale!!

I started reading it and I'm about have way through it, it was hard to put down.

Just wondering if anybody has any opinions on the text.

Thanks

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Read the first 16 pages--found it incredibly boring and trite with fantastical assumptions that resulted to cloying feelgoodism. Not only that the back cover has him giving piano concerts 3 years before he began taking lessons. I saw no need to read further.

3. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I read it in tears. Found it HILARIOUS.

I guess for the "club robinson need to get motivated" crew it may help. Mastery comes from somewhere else and no book can unleash that. A better title would have been Effortless Hopefulness.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I found it inspiring. A great read whether you do what it says in the book or not.

6. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Thanks for the response

I found it as being an interesting perspective on the mastery thing, I did notice that it talks alot about getting in touch with an inner self as you play, while interesting, the only thing so far I have found that resonates with me ia a section in the book where it talks about not thinking so much.

For instance, the last couples of days I have been attempting to learn and be proficient in the the Db major scale. As I progressed, I noticed I started to think about the notes and fingering as I was playing. Progress was slow and I started to get frustrated.

So I took a breather for about two minutes, closed my eyes and attempeted a Db scale exercise, :thumbsup: no thinking, just doing, this time it came easy and without thinking, I just listened to the sound and the sound guided me.

Long ago a singer told me, you play good, but you need to let go!!! and then he walked away, that was in 1972. I never saw him again.

I'm finely getting what he meant:play: