Effortless Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Anonymous, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Mr. L-

I am in the process of auditioning for graduate schools and have been thoroughly preparing. After talking to Ray Mase about rep selection, he convinced me to pick things that are a little "non-standard." So, here's my list:

Ketting "Intrada"
    Francaix "Sonatine"
    Bitsch Etude No. 4
    Mahler 1 Blumine
    Pictures Promenade/Goldenburg
    L'historie Royal March/Pastorale

Ok, here's my question: usually I have a sense of ease in my playing and have fine response and range. But sometimes, like yesterday, I just have this feeling of effort while playing. The high notes aren't easy, the response is stuffy or slow, etc.... Since no one wants to hear a trumpeter play with effort, how would you combat this? Does this ever happen to pros? If so, since you have to sound amazing everyday, how would that happen?

Thanks a lot!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Inconsistency comes from an inconsistent approach to playing. If you breathe differently without realizing it, you will play differently. If you don't maintain a good contact with the points on the mouthpiece that ensure maximal vibration and therefore maximum tone, you won't maintain a great sound.

It's also important not to attach too much significance to the least little difference in sound. Sometimes it can be as simple as having eaten something too salty or too hot the day before or the day of. You might be a little tight because you were up too late the night before.

The most important thing is to have a clear-as-a-bell conception of your optimal sound quality fed by maximal breaths and work slowly until you get it.

ML