Elbows...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Churchman, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    ...in, or in the face of the bloke(ess) next to you?

Which is the advised position.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi churchman,
    Which? Neither. The elbows should not be elevated to the point to where they are in the next person's face nor should they be tucked to your sides. The elbows should be lifted a little and relaxed. Up too high and it's stressful and squeezed against the sides is too stressful.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    How close do you sit/stand to the person next to you? it's never been an issue for me either way.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Sounds like cart before horse, Churchman.

Get your wrists right (I was always told to keep them straight). Your elbows then follow the angle you hold your horn. The higher the horn, the higher the elbows. Of course, I may have been taught wrongly. ;-)

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have to say there are times I have let my left elbow fly a little, depending on who I am sat next to.

6. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Depends if you're wearing an appropriate amount of deodorant that day.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I've always heard that you should spread your wings somewhat so as to give enough freedom to the rib cage and encourage relaxing the shoulders, which helps with reducing tension in general. I find Hakan Hardenberger is a great example of good body use, the guy seems to suddenly props up in the perfect position any time the mouthpiece comes to the lips, especially his head/spine alignment; he usually has his elbows fairly high but I don't see as an overly important factor, comfort is probably what matters most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ls_NdAEVg

Alison keeps just enough room and attacks the first note of Syrinx with supreme confidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-8vC9Kpfw

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I was taught by a highly regarded Aussie professional trumpeter - during a master class - to set the elbows as if I was leaning on a table and then adjust for personal comfort from there. This seems to let the chest expand properly (for me) and doesn't interfere with any adjacent one's teeth. Yes, I used to "stick 'em out", and I don't seem to get as tired because the upper body tension is minimised.

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I have to agree with Cornyandy. Elbows are proper training tools when used judiciously.

10. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I like to rest mine on my beer gut.