Electronic Horn, Moog, & LivKONTROL App

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by euphmaster, Mar 26, 2012.

1. euphmaster

euphmaster New Friend

May 18, 2007
    I love playing my Bass Trumpet through Moogerfoogers - it's a trip! Using the LivKONTROL App for iPad makes playing solo even easier. Here's a little techno-funk to get your Monday started:

Electronic Horn Jam - YouTube

tobylou8 likes this.
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    YEAH, that was Nice!

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth

Very nice set up ! You’ve done your homework for sure !! I have a full electronic set up also for my horns, they are so much fun to play with, and soloing in an electronic environment like this makes you solo much different than you ever thought possible, as I’m sure you will agree : ) Finding an environment to use it however can be quite difficult. Nice Job !!

4. euphmaster

euphmaster New Friend

May 18, 2007
    @JNINWI - Thanks! I play on and off with bands using my electronic rig. Though I like playing with others, the music lends itself to take much more effort to put together when working with another person. I put together an electronic duo that played out regularly for over a year. Getting out there as a one man show is a bit easier to control, maintain, and manage.

I agree, soloing using EFX changes your habits, techniques, and creative thought process. Heck, when you jab a Silent Brass mute in the bell it even changes your physical process! Play 3 hours with one of those mutes, and you build up some serious chops :) hahaha.

I'll keep doing it, for sure :)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow does that bring back fond memories. I played in a jazz-rock funk band through college, mostly trumpet, but also brought my moog synthesizer as an additional keyboard player for the band. Moog has a button that plugs into the back of the instrument that synthesizes the mic input into the keyboard. I played my trumpet through this function on some of the songs that lead to some really cool sounds (such as the trumpet solo riffs on Tower of Power's "What is Hip"). Had a blast in those days playing this.

6. euphmaster

euphmaster New Friend

May 18, 2007
    Yes, the External Audio IN on the Voyagers & Phattys is a nice feature! All of the moog gear is so versatile.

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Euphmaster – That’s awesome that you found a place to use your gear in battle, Livin the dream !!

Gmonady – I’ve played “What is Hip “ so many times I don’t care if I ever play it again. How about you ! I used to call it the High F sharp song, (not quite those words though) nothing like cruising up there for about ten minutes huh !! : ) And NOW lets play the rest of the gig !

8. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Thanks for sharing that!

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Pretty cool. I would consider adding a cut-off or gapper after the digital delay/chorus effect either manually activated with a foot switch or automaticlly when ever the volume drops have it cut off. It will keep it fresh and the audience will appreciate the rest. Otherwise the mix sounds great!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm Hip! We kept substituting so many Tower of Power songs (and Little Feet "Rocket in My Pocket") that we kept these Power Funk tunes fresh.

The cool thing we did to parody KC and the Sunshine band is we did a medley (only one time through each of their songs) then the last run, each of us (in the 9 piece band with 4 brass instruments) played each KC song simultaneously. It's crazy how well it worked, unfortunately, the crowd loved it and always asked for an encore. Shoot me now!!