Elkhart Band Instrument Co - Serial Number dating System Study

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by badenia, Jan 10, 2015.

1. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Brassman64 likes this.
  2. Ctiguy-phx

Ctiguy-phx New Friend

Apr 5, 2018
    Gilbert AZ
    Recently picked up a Tenor sax with serial R8104 stamped just under the thumb hook. The horn logo contains the words Made-in-Elkhart rising on a slight angle from left to right inside large pattern of scalloped lines. The folks at my local brass repair shop looked it over and weren't able to provide a positive ID. They told me it looks like a Buescher body with some Conn bracing. The R prefix on a 4-digit number was something they hadn't seen before and couldn't find any mention in their serial number reference booklet.

Based on a post earlier in this thread I'm thinking this might be an EBIC from the Windsor line, circa 1939-1940. I'm hoping someone here might be able to provide some confirmation or help point me in a better direction. If nothing else it's another data point to further the goal of the thread.

Pictures of the sax are available here: https://www.saxophonepeople.com/seeking-info-on-elkhart-tenor-ser-r8104-28973.html#28980

Thanks in advance for any information you're able to provide.

--Doug

3. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    While I'm not Badenia, it definitely looks like other EBICo horns I've seen, and things like the bell key guard, both bell keys, and the G# cluster being like that of my Buescher TTs would agree with the year you said.
    Are you looking for anything specific other than how old it is? I can say it should play rather nice, being heavily based on Bueschers. (while I can't be certain the tonehole placement looks like that of an Aristocrat era model 127 Tenor, and I don't know if model 20A Tenors like yours had a neck that was reused from another model or not.)

4. Ctiguy-phx

Ctiguy-phx New Friend

Apr 5, 2018
    Gilbert AZ
    Thanks for the response! This horn turned out to be more of a mystery than expected, and figuring out the who/what/when has gone from a fun little project to a mild obsession for me. Am I to understand from your response that this is a model 20A?

True Tone likes this.
  5. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    I'm pretty sure they used that model number throughout all of the history of EBICo, but yes. If that's wrong, please correct me when you get back, Badenia.
    Ones marked as 20A started in about 1950, concurrently to Buescher saxes being marked 140, 156, 129, B7, and B11.
    Is the tenor in playing shape?

6. Ctiguy-phx

Ctiguy-phx New Friend

Apr 5, 2018
    Gilbert AZ
    Yes, it plays, though it would certainly benefit from some careful cleaning and new pads. The local shop suggested a full overhaul (sans lacquer) for a price that made me think they were crazy. Looking at other estimates suggests they're quoting on the high side for tenor rebuilds. That's what led me to learn as much as we can about it before deciding what to do with it.

It just occurred to me that I could look around for some experienced sax players willing to test it and give their opinions on the sound quality and condition...

Thank you again, and I'm curious to see what Badenia thinks, as well.

True Tone likes this.
  7. Brassman64

Brassman64 Forte User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    View attachment 21898
    The Pan American 90a is virtually identical to my EBIC heart engraving Cornet.https://goo.gl/images/3V7Wgy
    Mine https://photos.app.goo.gl/3MWsf96MY3UvP92E2

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    True Tone likes this.
  8. Brassman64

Brassman64 Forte User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    The Engraving says EBIC Bandmaster Silver Tone.in the Heart.There is no Elkshead .I think the serial is 88xxx.The pictures are in my media.It has the Satin Silver finish .

True Tone likes this.